Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drive-line issues

If your U-joint is going out does it make noise? On the way to work this morning I started getting this intermittent rattling. Sounded kinda like rain on a tin roof. It only happens when decelerating or coasting. Goes away when I give it gas. Now when its not rattling I am hearing this squeak that sounds like a belt that needs to be tightened, only its not coming from the engine but from underneath my vehicle.

I'm not sure if its coming from the front or the back, but I am leaning towards the back. I'm not leaking anything, belts are fine, no blown hoses or anything like that. I am pretty sure its not the brakes but I'm not positive. I'm pretty sure its something in the driveline. I need some help!

·
Registered
77 Posts
squeaky ujoint

I have had a uoint squak on me and well after verifing the brakes where not the cause I tore my driveshaft out jus to have the end cap of the ujoint fall off and and reveal nothing but dust. So it always worth a check.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

The rattling has become a clunk. It completely went out of gear last nite. The noise coming from the tranny was so loud when I tried to put it in park that I shut it off in Neutral. I'm worried I've got a tranny problem, does anyone have a clue what might have gone wrong?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The results are in...my transfer case was dry and got chewed up. This is gonna hurt. :cry

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a manual and I got one coming from jerry1 a b.

What happened was that I was heading to work and all of sudden, this weird rattling started but it would go away when I gave it gas. When it wasnt rattling I was getting a squeak so I thought it might be the u-joint. I got it to work, and on the way I home I kept trying to duplicate and isolate the sound. About 2 miles from my house when it would rattle, I would lose gearing and it would coast like it was in neutral. I gave it a little gas, that had been working up until this point, and when it would catch it was like if you neutral dropped while moving and sorta lurch. As I turned onto my block it completely went and I coasted as far as I could then pushed the rest of the way. I was actually pleased that I could push it that far and back it in...thank God my driveway angles down. All I can say is check your T-case fluid level!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Damn:mad:

Glad things are working out. At least it's not gonna be down for a long time.

I just got done taking my case apart (I was looking for a broken c clip or something). There not really much to them, you might want to try and see if you can rebuild it and have a spare.:shrug

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, since I am getting Jerry's for less than I could rebuild one for, I went ahead. With Keith_L's info i'm gonna keep the old one and give it a shot at rebuilding it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts