Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 bronco ranger XLT 400/T18/205 ,d44 front/ 9"rear I was under it the other day changing oil, and checking things over, I noticed my front ds needs ujoints and the slip yoke is loose, changing this is no prob, for me as I'm a mechanic at a trans shop, my question is on the bronco is there supposed to be a double cardon joint(cv joint) on the front shaft, mine does not have one on the front, only the rear shaft has one. and will it hurt to leave the single joint shaft on it. (after I rebuild it of course) thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Double cardon joints are at both front and rear drive shafts and they both attach on the output side of the transfer case. If you front drive shaft does not have one, then some where along the line someone removed it. I would put one back on as it improves the amount of drop your drive shaft can go without binding.

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
there is not supposed to be a double cardon on the front shaft, so you are ok.

·
Engineer
13,167 Posts
waltman said:
there is not supposed to be a double cardon on the front shaft, so you are ok.
+1, I was pretty sure that was the case but not positive.

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Waltman, are you sure about that DC on the front? I have one on mine and two of my friends that have a 78/79 have them on theirs.

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
my mistake it is supposed to have a double cardon.

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Darn, I thought I hard some sort of rare factory option.

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
I was thinking of my bronco

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
You should be able to buy just the H-joint and another u-joint as long as it is the original drive shaft. A quick check of my latest BGY catalog has the H-joint listed for $35.00. Check that route first before you buy a whole new drive shaft.

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
Ziggy said:
You should be able to buy just the H-joint and another u-joint as long as it is the original drive shaft. A quick check of my latest BGY catalog has the H-joint listed for $35.00. Check that route first before you buy a whole new drive shaft.

you cannot just add the H yoke with out welding in the ball stud style tube yoke as well as getting the centering ball in there as well.

All of the 8 or so broncose I have seen all had the cv style front and rear shafts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts