Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a u joint replaced on my back driveline. When i went to get it my mechanic said it would go in reverse but not in drive, is there any reason for this? He said i had trans problems but the trans worked fine when i took it there so do i assume he is playing me.Thanks

·
tired of your sh!t
2,882 Posts
climb underneath and look at the linkage.Did you try it yourself or are you just taking his word for it?What year and type of trans?has a line or wire been popped off?Do you know another mech?
Imagine the coincidence of a couple grand worth of shit breaking down in his shop. Are you ever lucky you showed up there when you did.
I'd say he figured you need a mech for a u-joint replacement,you don't know your ass from a......
push it out of the shop and drive it forward somewhere else and tell him you're bringing a reporter....just too fishy.

edit...push it out of the shop and drive it forward somewhere else ..I'm dyslexic :toothless oops

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Go down there, drive it out of his shop in reverse to another parking lot, put your parking brakes on, use a 9/16" wrench to disconnect the shift linkage from the shift lever on the side of the transmission, physically put the transmission shift linkage into drive and hop into the cab, take off parking brake and drive home.

Mess with it at home.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Where did you take it??? I guess it's possible you already had that problem comeing up, but I doubt it...Call a tow truck if needed but get another opinion before you pay him to fix it!!!!! Fog

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Were there any indications of transmission issues before taking it into the shop? I had some issues with my F-250 where occasionally it'd take a few seconds then slam into drive then eventually I did lose all forward gears, only had reverse. I did have an indication so it wasn't unexpected.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input,I talked to him today and he said its a problem with the valve body which he said was behind the trans filter. I understand that anything is possible but I never had any problems with the trans before, it just seems funny to me. Does anybody know about the valve body? If so do they go out with any notice.I know i,m a novice at mechincs but I am slowly learning, Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did try putting it in forward gear, and it would not move at all. I put it in reverse and it backed up with no problems.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Hopefully it's just the valve body if it is what he said it is. I dropped the pan on mine and found metal shavings everywhere, had to do a total rebuild replacing all the hard and soft parts (performance rebuild).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts