Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new drive shaft about a motnh ago. less than 100 miles on it and none off road.

Well i was driving down the road at about 25MPH...drive shaft falls down...:banghead

Well i go look at it...U-Joint is apart...caps still left in the u bolts...one cap pushed out pretty easily...the other one wouldn't push out...the one that pushed out looks a little F-ed up...i also noticed that the u bolts bent out...

What would have caused this?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
which side of the drive shaft? lower or upper? just because a part is new doesnt mean it isnt bad. did you get the wrong u- joint for the yoke?

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which side of the drive shaft? lower or upper? just because a part is new doesnt mean it isnt bad. did you get the wrong u- joint for the yoke?
Lower...I'm pretty sure it was the right joint...the new shaft had all new joints and they said it was the right joint (gave them measurements they said it was the stock joint)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
did the fastner come loose and throw the shahft off? maybee it wasnt torqued correctly?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
musta been a bad cap on the u- joint, not pressed in rite or something. maybee you could seek a warranty claus.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
So rear driveline; parted at the pinion yoke?

From the factory this truck had 1330 U Joints. A 1310 wouldn't even go in there. You saying the cross is perfect? No damage to it?

Pictures would help.

Excuse my stupidity. The 1310 would go in there but it would look small.

I would inspect the yoke carefully & replace if necessary. Ditto the DS side.

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So rear driveline; parted at the pinion yoke?

From the factory this truck had 1330 U Joints. A 1310 wouldn't even go in there. You saying the cross is perfect? No damage to it?

Pictures would help.
yes.

its 1330

Im trying to find the cables for my camera right now...i already took a pic of the one cap and the cross...is there any other pics you want?

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Looking at the pics I would suspect it loosened up, the caps walked out a bit till it was on the edge of the cross and finally let go.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Whats the correct torque specs for the joints?
U-BOLT SIZE TORQUE (Lb./Ft.)
(5/16) 14-17
(3/8) 20-24
(7/16) 32-37

i torque mine to the min. spec just to make sure. if it looks like the cap is spinning than snug them up a bit more.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts