Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a busted u joint that i need to replace, but i don't have a vice to get it out with. I have the shaft out right now, and just need to get the middle one out. Any ideas?

Thanks
brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't have that either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nada.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one on the cardan opposite the transmission, next to the shaft.

brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's what I'm afraid of.

brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
do it cave man style......big ass rock and a pipe......lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it out with a socket, a hammer, seafoam, 2 beers, and a lot of cussing.

Now to get the damn thing back together.

brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
I made my own tool after getting tired of banging on sockets & extentions...

I took a lug wrench(Factory ones are easy to get & porb free at most scrap yards) & cut it off to just before the bend so you have a straight shaft.....Just grind the lug end so it fits into your axel joint or driveshaft hole...I went farther & filld the hole in with led to make it heavier...Iv made a few of these & they work great...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,685 Posts
A heavy drift is LESS effective than a light one. It absorbs the hammer's energy, which COULD be transmitted (in this case) to the U-joint. Plus - lead is toxic. You shouldn't be handling it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Steve83 said:
A heavy drift is LESS effective than a light one. It absorbs the hammer's energy, which COULD be transmitted (in this case) to the U-joint. Plus - lead is toxic. You shouldn't be handling it.

I always play with lead tire weights...Melting them down & stuff...Im not 1 to really care about my health that much...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MUDDOG7375 said:
I always play with lead tire weights...Melting them down & stuff...Im not 1 to really care about my health that much...
You do realize that this stuff can severely affect your brain right? You'll probably go daft long before you ever feel sick.

I just saved the old U joint for a striking tool. It's a perfect fit, very solid, and easy to hold without putting my fingers too close.

brad
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,685 Posts
Did you ever wonder why the hatter was mad in Alice in Wonderland? Hatters used to use mercury to dissolve lead into the felt to stiffen it so their hats would stay neat longer. After a while, the mercury evaporates out & the customers weren't SO exposed to it, but the hatters were breathing mercury & soaking in it & lead. That's why the author wrote it that way, & why the expression "mad as a hatter" exists.

Stop playing with heavy metals. :twak
 

·
green ones make me horny
Joined
·
11,155 Posts
I guess i cant use my old tank parts from the iraqi war to make new quarter panels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Steve83 said:
Did you ever wonder why the hatter was mad in Alice in Wonderland? Hatters used to use mercury to dissolve lead into the felt to stiffen it so their hats would stay neat longer. After a while, the mercury evaporates out & the customers weren't SO exposed to it, but the hatters were breathing mercury & soaking in it & lead. That's why the author wrote it that way, & why the expression "mad as a hatter" exists.

Stop playing with heavy metals. :twak
Same with the stereotype of the crazy miner, only not with hats and stuff. heavy metals are nothing to play with.

Seriously though MUDDOG, the lead is bad enough, but i can only imagine what is happening to your CNS/brain functions from the fumes of hitting the lead with a flame.

brad
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top