Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a thump type noise in my bronco when I drive slowly over rough terrain. I was looking underneath and found that if I push up on the area where the two ujoints go into the rear of the transfer case the whole section moves up and down. It appears that there is a bushing or something worn in the rear of the transfer case. There is also something in between the two ujoints that allows some play, I think it might be called a cardon joint or something. The actual ujoints don't seem to have play but whatever it is between the two is allowing some. I can't quite tell what is in between the two joints. Have any of you repaired the two ujoints with whatever is in between and whats the deal with the rear of the transfer case, do I need a new bushing or bearing and seal??

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
It's your ujoints. Rebuild you driveshaft. It's not that hard a job. If you have a haynes manual just follow the steps and you will do fine. When you get to the CV (double cardan) joint that gets a little tricky as far as getting the two joints out and in. But follow the manual and you will do fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done ujoints before but I haven't done the double cardan type. What is the thing in between the 2 joints, the manual doesn't show much but it looks like a spring or bushing that presses against both ujoints. I definately have something wrong in the tailshaft of the transfer case, there is alot of up and down play there. The manual just says it's a bushing and seal but doesn't show much else.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
rml127 said:
I have a thump type noise in my bronco when I drive slowly over rough terrain. I was looking underneath and found that if I push up on the area where the two ujoints go into the rear of the transfer case the whole section moves up and down. It appears that there is a bushing or something worn in the rear of the transfer case.
Sounds like your tranny mount may be worn. Take a closer look as you push up on the t-case. If you can't find one locally, I got mine from rockauto.com

Also take a close look at the 12pt bolts which connect your d/s flange to the t-case flange. These will back out if not lock-tited and can cause a definite clunking (btdt).

It also sounds like your double cardan may be in need of a rebuild, the centering ball or pin may be worn. The ball can be replaced. If it's the centering pin, you're better off to just get a whole new d/s.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oooh I love pictures.....OK when I push up on the cardan joint itself I have movement in the area of the centering ball, there is movement where the driveshaft goes into the rear of the transfer case and the whole transfer case moves up about an inch without too much trouble. The trans. mount looks ok but it does move up. How much give should there be in the mount? I'm definately replacing the ujoints but it looks like the play is due to the centering ball arae and the transfer case bushing if thats what it's called. There shouldn't be any slop where the flange comes out of the transfer case should there?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
rml127 said:
There shouldn't be any slop where the flange comes out of the transfer case should there?
I've sometimes noted 1/16" to 1/8" of fore/aft movement, but there should be no vertical movement, no.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any idea how involved this bushing replacement is? Can I do this in my garage without pulling the transfer case? It looks like it shouldn't be very hard.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
rml127 said:
Can I do this in my garage without pulling the transfer case? It looks like it shouldn't be very hard.
Yes and yes. Just support the tranny or t-case with a jack, unbolt the xmember and swing it down (easy on E4OD models), replace (use loctite!) and reinstall

1 - 9 of 9 Posts