Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Master Bater
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know several have made them or do make them and sell them (dustin and dave come to mind) but I m making my own. I would like to see this thread concentrate primarily on frame mounting, locations, and support so as to not tear the frame if you come down hard on them. In particular to the mounting, photos showing locations in regards to body mounts, radius arms (especially the SASers) and brake and fuel lines.

i purchased some 2x4 and 2x2 tube today along with some 3x2 angle iron to support the bottom of my frame. I think I may go back to my original idea which was to get some 6x6 angle iron and rip down one side to 2" and use that as a second 'skin' to my frame. then i want to fill in the holes that arnet needed. Bolt this thing to the frame, and voila, instant strength. then I can weld/bolt / mount anything to the fram and worry a lot less about tearing or bending.

So anyhow, post up your links

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,909 Posts
dude, i got your idea. not a bad one. i would say look at your frame. i have a 79 and my frame has a curve in it and that would shoot down your angle iron idea. what i did was to take the 4"x2"x3/16" and angle the endsand cap them. after that i put them up on jack stands and aired down until the truck was resting on the slider and on the stand. then with smoke and mirrors...actually it was big cowboy clamps and magnets i put the 1/4" thick 3"x4" plate against the frame and the 2"x2"x1/4" square tube up there and tacked it all tight. then finished them off the truck. i did end up with one plate moved on me, but i can shim it. i should have tacked hotter. but all i ran up against is the fuel lines on the drivers side. your angle iron idea is good, but you need to see if the frame is curved like the 78-9. i still havent drilled the frame yet, so they arent installed yet. good luck, i will post pics when i can.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
You won't really need anything to support the frame. At the very least, cut, and drill, yourself some backing plates. All the mounts, really, are there for, are to hold the sliders in place, under the rocker panels. Personally, I think 2x4 is a bit big, but obviously, that's your call, and it certainly won't hurt anything using that.

If you look in Crazed's superford page http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=1725&s=9490#content You can see how close I made the sliders to the rocker panel. The way it is, there's very little upwards movement, before it hits the rocker, preventing the frame from flexing much at all. There's certainly alot more frame flex when standing on the sliders, but that only happens when you're using them to get into the Bronco

Otherwise, you realy don't need to get fancy with 'em

·
my precioussssssss
438 Posts
Dave, one thing that I think that you and Tim forgot to concider was the new mounting location of his rad/arm brackets when he does his axle swap. Might need to lose or modify the sliders...

Edit, never mind, After looking at his pics, it looks like you did your home work :thumbup

·
Diesel Gynachologist
10,736 Posts
I agree with dave, 2x4 is over kill. I do mine with 2x2 220wall and its as strong as you could want it. I have slamed mine really hard a few times and only sightly tweeked the outer tube portion in one spot right in the center which could be prevented with a thicker tube there or another support to the sqaure tube. dogonmut could verify this as he saw me slam it into the rock and about bust out my teeth. I dont think your really going to have a problem with the frame tearing from the sliders as it will hit the body and distrubute the weight before the frame has enough flex in it to acually rip or bend from the slider.

here is my mounting

·
negative creep
7,507 Posts
Dustin said:
I agree with dave, 2x4 is over kill.
2x4 is big, but what if you mounted it so that the 4" part was out, instead of that tube that you and david have. thats along the lines of what i want to run, and i think damon may be hinting at the same thing. do you guys think that mounting the 2x4 flat would work? the way i see it, it doesn't really matter if its tube or the slider itself, it its sticking out there, its going to grab either way.

·
Registered
66 Posts

I just used 1.75x.25 wall DOM from the frame to slider, 3/8" plate on the frame, and 1/2" backing plate behind frame, simple enough. As far as I'm concerned, two .250 wall tubes is plenty support for the slider, but only time will tell.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,671 Posts
I got my sliders from Dave, havn't put them to the test other then in the driveway, but I'm certain they will work.
Befrore the install..

Here's the driver's side front mount..I was concerned about the sliders clearing when I did the SAS, but I don't think it will be a problem if I use ths extensions.

Driver's side rear

They work!!

·
Diesel Gynachologist
10,736 Posts
78bronco460 said:
I don't get the idea of these tubes.
to save your rockers from serious damage from rocks like this, somtimes you need them to pivot the truck around an obstical to get where you want it. oh and they make great steps too

without them I would not be able to open my door ever again, these things have paid for themselves 10 times over. I dont regret building them one bit.

oh and like dave I like the looks of the tube over just the running board stlye slider. you can save some weight with the tube as well, but whatever floats your boat :chili:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.