Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 159 Posts

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,751 Posts
Mine are like plug ugly & big norm's. Put these in probably four years ago now, still holdin up good. I dunno who Andy Skaar is, so he dont get credit for mine :toothless

I like the Andy Skarr style, but the only problem I see is if you lean into a rock there is nothing to push you away, unlike the David/Crazed/Shadofax style.

Guys, Got any measurements as to how far out the round tubing from the box tubing under the rocker? Also is 1.5" round tubing really hard/expensive to find and bend. It seems like a lot of places here don't carry the dies to bend 1.5" round.

·
ate lug
8,437 Posts
Wow, old thread!

Here's an updated pic for ya from last year. They have served me well all these years

True, nothing to pivot on, altho that has not been a problem for me. I like the tubular ones for that ability, but i dont like that you lose like 2" of ground clearance because of it.

What kind of bender do you have? We got our 1.5" die online pretty easily.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
Wow, old thread!

Here's an updated pic for ya from last year. They have served me well all these years

True, nothing to pivot on, altho that has not been a problem for me. I like the tubular ones for that ability, but i dont like that you lose like 2" of ground clearance because of it.

What kind of bender do you have? We got our 1.5" die online pretty easily.
you actually lose more than that RepT....2" plus most people mount them with a little distance from the body, maybe an inch, so it's closer to 3".

my pic above is more of a combo between the AS slider style and what Dustin makes with side tubing protection which I really like since it's saved the side of the lower body panels several times...it's only 1.5" thick, and it's mounted pretty much up to the underside of the truck with several hard rubber bushings between it and the body. Total loss of clearance is less than 2".

I can get some measurements on legs a bit later today Ryan.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
anybody got measurments for the legs?
Keep in mind Ryan this is for my slider, measurement from the frame to the inside edge of my 3" x 1.5" slider is 14.5" at the rear leg, 14.75" at the front

·
Registered
636 Posts
anybody got measurments for the legs?
Glad someone else had the same ??? I too was wondering that as I just got a welder for christmas and have been trying to figure out how much material I was going to be needing to buy. Thanx's Shadofax

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
Thanks here is the updated specs

That's very purdy.:thumbup

I will mention 3 things if going with this exact slider:

1) note it is light, and thus the slider can be bent by hard rock impacts if used heavily.
2) use of 1/4" material for everything except the tube will make it substantially stronger, and heavier...about 55lbs each).
3) I'd suggest use of 1/4" feet to the frame instead of 3/16ths unless you plan to use rubber bushings and a "soft tie in" to the body like I did. I actually caught my outer tube on a tree root on one trail and bent the slider down, which is why I decided to tie it in out at the body as well.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,504 Posts
I used more than .120" wall but probably less than 1/4" (it was free for the taking)
I modeled them off Dustins and some EB and Jeeper designs I'd seen. I used Black Iron PIPE for my tubes...Again..it was freebie stuff and allowed me to practice with the HF bender.

I also have the Andy sliders from years ago. never felt like removing them since now they act as a postive stop for the new sliders when gravity slams them on top of a rock.

edit...helps to add a photo.

I chose to stop them as close to the wheel openings as possible... sorta regret that now that I installed the fiberglass fenders.

moderate mild testing in Hungry Valley only scratched the lower side of the pipe

·
F.O.T.Y. 2003
8,374 Posts
I used more than .120" wall but probably less than 1/4" (it was free for the taking)
I modeled them off Dustins and some EB and Jeeper designs I'd seen. I used Black Iron PIPE for my tubes...Again..it was freebie stuff and allowed me to practice with the HF bender.

I also have the Andy sliders from years ago. never felt like removing them since now they act as a postive stop for the new sliders when gravity slams them on top of a rock.

edit...helps to add a photo.

I chose to stop them as close to the wheel openings as possible... sorta regret that now that I installed the fiberglass fenders.
The only way your design will work is with the "andy slider". w/o it the legs would smash the body. Mine are actually under the body more so the whole side of the truck takes the impacts evenly.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,504 Posts
The only way your design will work is with the "andy slider". w/o it the legs would smash the body. Mine are actually under the body more so the whole side of the truck takes the impacts evenly.
yes sir...I actually installed the "andys" after I installed the old Sh!ttybuilts step/sliders I had damaged the body where the legs wrapped to the frame. Did wonders to strengthen the Sh!ttys...Which is also probably why my sub 1/4" material works well in the rocks. I "planned" (read that 'rationalized') mine around my style of driving...not so much upward impacts from rocks...more sideways impact action. Maybe you notice my support legs are set wider apart than most others on here....taken to points where frame xmembers are atleast close.
I wanted more than just rocker protection...I wanted step area & pivot area still away from door. So far its held up for what I need it for- and something I never thought about, Parking lot doorstop.;)
Best set up I have seen is still Yikes door slider.....but I cant build those without more tools.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
Best set up I have seen is still Yikes door slider.....but I cant build those without more tools.
yes I like that but have a feeling under heavy use it would get jacked and not open the door. I would be real interested in seeing how they do in the rocks. I know I have used the crap out of my sliders and only slightly bent the outer tube. I have slammed the whole weight down of the bronco on the rock, used them to pivot all the time, and even been winched from them. It would be interesting.

also you can use .188 wall mild or even better DOM and get that outer tube to hold up alot better

·
F.O.T.Y. 2003
8,374 Posts
yes sir...I actually installed the "andys" after I installed the old Sh!ttybuilts step/sliders I had damaged the body where the legs wrapped to the frame. Did wonders to strengthen the Sh!ttys...Which is also probably why my sub 1/4" material works well in the rocks. I "planned" (read that 'rationalized') mine around my style of driving...not so much upward impacts from rocks...more sideways impact action. Maybe you notice my support legs are set wider apart than most others on here....taken to points where frame xmembers are atleast close.
I wanted more than just rocker protection...I wanted step area & pivot area still away from door. So far its held up for what I need it for- and something I never thought about, Parking lot doorstop.;)

Yah, Todd (tntbronco) used to have just the smittys, did way more damage to the body then they helped :histerica

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Because I useded search :doh0715:
That's how it's suposed to work :twak :smilie_slap
Search --> Read --> Post aditional question in appropriate thread
It's all good I agree with you. :beer

41 - 60 of 159 Posts