Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

81 - 100 of 163 Posts

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,075 Posts

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,075 Posts
see i saw some of those but his rectangle tube is under the rocker so how would those bolts hold it..... or is there a piece of steel behind it like that also?
Oh, I see what you mean now. Well he did say the middle bolt had a rubber spacer; seems like he would need the same for the other two as well, doesn't it.

:shrug Maybe that piece is actually a 3x3? The angle of the shot could be making it look wider than it is.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
Pretty much what Kevin said, except remember that with mine, they are not really there to hold the slider up to the rocker. The bolts are just tight enough to have the slider start pressing on the bump stop and that's it. So no noise, and they are as close to the body as you'll get without actually touching it.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,255 Posts
I have a question for people using or have used the Andy Skaar style.

By bolting them to the body, did you notice the body sag at all? I heard that bolting sliders to the body and not welding them to the frame, the body would start sagging, anyone ?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Pretty much what Kevin said, except remember that with mine, they are not really there to hold the slider up to the rocker. The bolts are just tight enough to have the slider start pressing on the bump stop and that's it. So no noise, and they are as close to the body as you'll get without actually touching it.
but what bump stop? sorry i am just not able to picture what the heck is going on.....

Its 2*3, .125" wall. It doesnt weigh that much :toothless

Now, if your using the traditional style rock slider everybody else does that bolts to the frame rails, i wouldnt bother attaching it to the rocker panel at all.
thats what i am thinking i dont think i will hardly ever need them so i think i may just stop overthinking but i would still like to know incase it is a lot easier than my brain is tellin me....:duh

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
The bump stop is the center bolt of the 3, so it goes down inside the little rocker channel (where Kevin's andy scaar style slider actually goes into). So basically it's between the rocker and slider.

I wouldn't bother doing it this way if you don't ever plan to catch your slider on anything and having it pulled away (down) from the body and you don't already have 3 holes drilled, as I did.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
I have a question for people using or have used the Andy Skaar style.

By bolting them to the body, did you notice the body sag at all? I heard that bolting sliders to the body and not welding them to the frame, the body would start sagging, anyone ?
Its 2*3, .125" wall. It doesnt weigh that much :toothless

Now, if your using the traditional style rock slider everybody else does that bolts to the frame rails, i wouldnt bother attaching it to the rocker panel at all.
I have had Andy's on for 10 years? but I made um out of 2x3 .25 wall much heaver but no I do not think I have any sag. Then again I tend to try and jam them back into my doors way to much.:rockon Notice the rock right there in my sig.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,075 Posts
I wouldn't bother doing it this way if you don't ever plan to catch your slider on anything and having it pulled away (down) from the body and you don't already have 3 holes drilled, as I did.
Oh, you planned that? :rofl:

I think it's a good design mod. :thumbup

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
Oh, you planned that? :rofl:

I think it's a good design mod. :thumbup
No, I didn't, it just happened from not being careful.:toothless

The better option IMO if you are having these built is that guys now use triangular gussets over at the foot attaching point to the frame. And the foot should probably be 1/4" (won't add any real weight), whereas my foot is 3/16ths plate.

But if you want the slider right up to the body like I did, you certainly can do the bump stop and bolting. I also had to cut off most of the underneath fender mount and redo that since it was in the way of getting the slider all the way up next to the body.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,075 Posts
I also had to cut off most of the underneath fender mount and redo that since it was in the way of getting the slider all the way up next to the body.
Yeah, I was wondering about that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
90 beatter great truck im starting to build your rock slider now in metal shop and i was just wondering how far does the F and the G bar go in on the A bar

·
89 Problems
2,554 Posts
this is my idea:

big tube would be 2"x2" .188 wall square tube, smaller tube would be 1"x2" .188. i would cut holes to slide the removable step into the sliders, and make supports inside for the legs of the step. i was also thinking i could make some drop jack points that would slide into the same holes, for when you need it jacked up but the jack just isn't quite long enough.

i'm open to suggestions, it's just in the design stage right now. i don't know lengths yet or anything.

there will be drainage holes throughout the part i leave open for the step tube, to make sure i don't just pack it full of mud and crap.

·
89 Problems
2,554 Posts
well, i would, but she had knee surgery recently.... so that would be cruel.

81 - 100 of 163 Posts