Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
Hmm, couple things, is that plate all 1/4"? It sure does not look like it will bend. But, you certainly get a lot of structural strength from boxed stuff vs. plate, and so you can use way less steel thickness. Also, those are true sliders, they won't help protect the sides vs. the sliders that have tube extensions. these are like boat sides (not to be confused with the practice of boat siding I've heard of) in that they push off stuff they encounter, vs. the body having to do that work. Last, it looks like it will accumulate mud and road salts up under there? How exactly are those attached?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I started with a regular slider that fit into the rocker pannel. they were built from .188 tube. It bolts to the frame with plates on the inside. After I finished them I decided I wanted armor to protect some of the sheet metal. The armor is 1/4 in plate and sits a little more than an inch from the body so it can flex a little without hitting the body. It is also enough space to clean out dirt or ??? with a hose. I may still add tube coming off of the armor for a little extra clearence between the body and the rocks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
a few closer pics on the previous page, otherwise this is the only other close pic I have right now. Im getting ready to build another set for a guy with a bronco2. I may try to have the side plates water cut and then folded if i can find a place to do it for a reasonable price.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
Did you weigh those sliders? they look like they would be pretty heavy, and I'm not understanding the side protection. As soon as something contacts your door what protection do you have? Different, yes. but I'm not sure they are really a good choice for trails/rocks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm not understanding the side protection. As soon as something contacts your door what protection do you have? Different, yes. but I'm not sure they are really a good choice for trails/rocks.
I wanted to keep as much ground clearence as possible which is why i tucked the sliders into the rocker pannel. Without the plates, only the bottom of the rockers were protected. With the plates at least i have some protection from side impact on rocks. True the doors dont have as much protection, but a little is better than none. Plus the doors are a lot easier to replace than the rocker or rear quarter.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
yea, but, I guess you haven't been on more mid or higher rated trails.....either the rocks or a slick trail with muddy/rock embankment will eat you up. you have no protection. The purpose of the tube sticking out about 4" is basically to push you off that stuff, and it works like a charm. My drivers door was nicely pushed in on a run in Washington, didn't break the glass. That's when I decided to put on the sliders with tube outboards. I did that same trail again and rubbed the slider right down that high bank, absolutely no touching of the body this time.

I ran andy skaar type sliders for a few years and as the body took hits, I knew I needed outboard protection, so I'm totally sold on a tubular outboard welded to the slider as the best protection.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
little update to mine. i stuck some bicycle chain on my sliders when my truck got taller. for the girl friend. anyway that stuff isn't strong enough. i'm working on a hinge step that latches in place.

bike chain not broken:

broken bike chain:

·
Super Moderator
6,613 Posts
My version of sliders for a 78/79 Bronco.

I built mine using 1.75 dom tubing, 2x3 rectangular, 1.5 square tubing and 3x16 plate. I secured them with 1/2" grade 8 bolts,washers & locking washers. I doubled up the 1.5 square tube for the supports. When it was time for paint I scuffed them up with sandpaper and a brillo pad, cleaned them with a duplicolor prep wipe, primered with rustoleum rust killer primer, painted them with duplicolor truck bedcoating in a spray can and rolled on the coating in the "step" area for traction. Finally for the completion I sprayed 3 coats of duplicolor textured metal flake paint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
here is a slider for those who need a step. I styled these after my Eddie Bauer steps. I never installed them because I decided to make my bronco more of a rock crawler and want all the clearence i can get. Will have pics of new sliders with body armor soon

I know this is an old thread, but do you have anymore pictures or diagrams of this step? That is exactly what I want for my 79.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did you weigh those sliders? they look like they would be pretty heavy, and I'm not understanding the side protection. As soon as something contacts your door what protection do you have? Different, yes. but I'm not sure they are really a good choice for trails/rocks.
been wheeling mine for 10 years, i have yet to damage a door... I take mine off :goodfinge hehe. I made new door hinges that are "Pin" Style to quickly remove them. But i never wheel i nthe rocks with doors on anyways. So this opens more ptions for that type of slider hes got out of plate.

I personally like this style set up though , especially running 1/2 doors

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
been wheeling mine for 10 years, i have yet to damage a door... I take mine off :goodfinge hehe. I made new door hinges that are "Pin" Style to quickly remove them. But i never wheel i nthe rocks with doors on anyways. So this opens more ptions for that type of slider hes got out of plate.

I personally like this style set up though , especially running 1/2 doors

So what do the rear of those look like...i.e. how do you open your door with those on?

·
OMF
2,930 Posts
Yikes sliders are awesome, I love those things!

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,775 Posts
Keep in mind Ryan this is for my slider, measurement from the frame to the inside edge of my 3" x 1.5" slider is 14.5" at the rear leg, 14.75" at the front
Why is there a 1/4 inch difference between front and rear?

121 - 140 of 166 Posts