Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Never flown one, but I knew a guy who crashed one into a barber wire fence.

Yeah, he found a new hobby. :toothless

EDIT: WeedHOPPER. I like it :twotu:

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
The only time I hear about them, is when they crash. A lot of my mom's old buddies from a small town have crashed them, some have died.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Hmm, that could make for a fun travel to work :thumbup And whataya know?! I live on an airstrip, too! :twotu: A little more expensive than I would have thought they were tho ...

·
Registered
854 Posts
I've built one to my own design (Former aeronautic student), however, never got up enough funds to buy the fabric and now all my funds are going into the bronco and living on my own.. I figure I'll wait until I can buy myself a cessna since I've already managed the license.

Either way, I have flown these things before and they are decently fun, but not worth the money, IMO. Get a Gyro-copter.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I forget I'm on a board among elders:goodfinge

From the plans I was looking at several years ago, they were just about the same price. There seemed to be a little more into it when it came to building the Gyro, but I hear they're a lot safer, plus landing on my roof always seemed cool..

I don't have any pics since it's been a good 2 years since I last worked on it, but I may be able to get a few pics for you guys in a few days.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
To use a chute you have to be high up for it deploy in enough time. I don't know if ultralights reach high enough.

Just remember...you will fall 9.2 meters each second, squared. You fall fast.

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
from the BRS website:

"How low can the parachute work?
The altitude required is a function of speed more than height. FAA certified tests have shown that full parachute inflation could occur as low as 260-290 feet above the ground."

i guess the rocket helps get the chute out fast.

also, the highest reported flight i could find for these was 14,000 feet. but to be honest you make a good point... most of my flights will probly be <1,000'.

·
Registered
930 Posts
My friend's dad has a two seater ultralight...he loves it. I've seen him buzzing over my house a couple times last year. He does not seem to have any worries about their safety...of course, those are famous last words...

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Swampwalker3 said:
I forget I'm on a board among elders:goodfinge
HUH?! WHAT?! punk :goodfinge

From the plans I was looking at several years ago, they were just about the same price. There seemed to be a little more into it when it came to building the Gyro, but I hear they're a lot safer, plus landing on my roof always seemed cool..
I am liking that idea better, actually. Even tho a UL doesn't need alot of runway, a gryo would make travel alot easier - that is, if I can find a kit with a pre-rotator

I don't have any pics since it's been a good 2 years since I last worked on it, but I may be able to get a few pics for you guys in a few days.
That would be cool

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
stangmata50l said:
I've seen them crash...I say NO to ultralights!
You've seen cars crash too I assume? So do you say NO to cars?

stangmata50l said:
I would think that you would need to be at least 2000ft above the ground to really get that chute to make a difference....and even then, you better pray.
What about the big wing above your head? Unless we are discussing catastrophic structural failure, I'd rather have a controlled 20mph stall into tree tops than a parachute bringing me down wherever the wind takes me.

stangmata50l said:
REALLY FAST! 9.2m/s^2 is your rate of ACCELERATION!
9.79 to be a little more exact :toothless :goodfinge

stangmata50l said:
Get a sport pilots liscense. It only requires 25 hours of flying and you can have one for under $2000. All it means (in a nutshell) is that you can't fly into controlled airspace (an airport with a control tower). Then, you can rent a plane anytime you want for about $50-$80/hr. That is a reliable, well built, inspected, certified, carry passengers, SAFE aircraft.
And you can always upgrade easily if you decide to fly into controlled airspace. Good idea, but wheres the fun in safety?? :histerica

I want a ultralight bad.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I used to make the gussets for an ultralight manufacturer here in town. I was amazed at some of the things they would do like straightening metals that were bent wrong and rebending them, redrilling holes a little too close to other holes that were drilled wrong. Not a big deal for most things, but aircraft ??
BUILD YOUR OWN !!!!. Even if your handiwork sucks, it stands a good chance of being better.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I sent an email to my uncle - he's an FAA inspector - but still have yet to hear back from him. Mostly, about any dangers he's seen, possibly having to be licensed, and to find me one

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
prcrbob said:
I used to make the gussets for an ultralight manufacturer here in town...
if you dont mind me asking, what manufacturer was this in particular?

:chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: (i know i'm using these dudes out of context but my daughter wanted me to see the dancing pepper)

to dave: please let us know what he has to say...

:chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili:

·
Registered
490 Posts
actually acceleration due to gravity on earth is anywhere from 9.789 m/s² at the equator to 9.823 m/s² at the poles

to be exact

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
stangmata50l said:
Nope. I'm a flyin guy...so don't get me wrong...but I know when to draw the line. When a wheel falls off your car, you don't DIE...when a wing falls off your plane, you DIE! Too risky for my taste.
Im not sure thats the best analogy. The wing is more like the frame of a car IMO...its the strongest and most important nonmoving structure of the vehicle. They should never crack/break. Ever.

Besides, an FHP trooper died a couple months ago when his tire blew out.

But I agree, wings should never fall off of anything ever. That firefighting C130 and the recent seaplane crash are scary.

stangmata50l said:
And you hope that the ultralight holds up enough for the controlled stall to make a difference. Your not exactly protected too much. (by the way, I ride a motorcycle....I'm just making a point).
I was just referring to the engine quitting. Structurally, an airplane should never fail. Theres just no excuse for it!

Thats funny, Im a motorcycle guy too. I'd equate ultralights to motorcycles as far as safety. I feel perfectly safe on a bike...but I'm very aware of my surroundings at all times. But if the frame randomly broke, or the wheel fell off...you very much could die as you pointed out.
:drinkbud :beer :thumbup

1 - 20 of 29 Posts