Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I broke my ignition switch but thanks to some FSB help I was able to manually push the ignition rod and start the truck without much trouble.

Now the truck starts fine but it is currently in neutral, I put it there after the ignition switch broke in case I needed to tow it. And I can't shift into gear or park, for some reason I can switch into reverse and move backwards but it gets jammed when I try to shift it above neutral or behind reverse.

The wheels aren't locked and I'm not sure what it could be. Might it have to do with the broken ignition switch? I've never had any problems shifting before that went and broke on me. I figure taking apart the steering column and repairing the ignition switch is the final cure but I need to get the truck out of my work parking lot and back home before I can do any serious work on it.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Possibly a piece of that broken actuator from your ignition? Could have wedged itself in there someplace. Get it home and tear the column apart, its already in neutral, so you shouldn't have a hard time towing it.

·
I ♥ TTB
4,274 Posts
Possibly a piece of that broken actuator from your ignition? Could have wedged itself in there someplace. Get it home and tear the column apart, its already in neutral, so you shouldn't have a hard time towing it.
This.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I figure that is my final option, I'm just hoping to save myself the $200 for towing it home. I may end up doing some night parking lot work.

·
Registered
613 Posts
have tools to take the ignition cylinder out and use a screw driver or something? I know i have had to do this in the past.

just need to take the bottom plastic off and push the small pin on the bottom of the ignition and turn the key at the same time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have tools to take the ignition cylinder out and use a screw driver or something? I know i have had to do this in the past.

just need to take the bottom plastic off and push the small pin on the bottom of the ignition and turn the key at the same time.
Yeah I have the tools and should be able to do that pretty easily. Is that going to allow me to shift you think?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
I ♥ TTB
4,274 Posts
I think you should be able to pull the plastic cover(s) from the column and may be able to see the part that has it jammed and fish it out of the way

·
Registered
665 Posts
Good luck. Only advise I have is to keep your registration handy for the police. You are going to look like a guy trying to steal a truck in a parking lot at night taking the ignition apart!!! lol

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
Take the shifter cable off the trans, start it, and then shift it into drive at the trans.

DON'T DO THIS WITHOUT A SECOND PERSON TO HOLD THE BRAKES!!!!!

·
I did done broke it
2,276 Posts
When mine broke it actually was stuck in park. I, um, well I got pissed at it and pulled on it till it broke free. Haven't had an issue with it.

FOLLOW MY FOOTSTEPS AT YOUR OWN RISK

I only did this after the actuator broke a second time and I decided the column was fubared anyways.

Ask me how I start my truck :toothless

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Take the shifter cable off the trans, start it, and then shift it into drive at the trans.

DON'T DO THIS WITHOUT A SECOND PERSON TO HOLD THE BRAKES!!!!!
I didn't even think about this until it was posted. It would work to get you home atleast, just be very careful. This is not the time to put all your faith into your E-brake, lol.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When mine broke it actually was stuck in park. I, um, well I got pissed at it and pulled on it till it broke free. Haven't had an issue with it.

FOLLOW MY FOOTSTEPS AT YOUR OWN RISK

I only did this after the actuator broke a second time and I decided the column was fubared anyways.

Ask me how I start my truck :toothless
What did you pull on until it broke? and okay I'll bite how do you start it up?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you should be able to pull the plastic cover(s) from the column and may be able to see the part that has it jammed and fish it out of the way
Any idea what this part would look like? I guess it is probably a part of the broken actuator eh?

·
I did done broke it
2,276 Posts
What did you pull on until it broke? and okay I'll bite how do you start it up?
I pulled down on the shifter. I dunno if it broke or if something just was knocked out of the way

I'm also not gonna tell you how I have my ignition because its more or less instructions on how to hotwire a Bronco

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
I'm also not gonna tell you how I have my ignition because its more or less instructions on how to hotwire a Bronco
That's not exactly hard to figure out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I pulled down on the shifter. I dunno if it broke or if something just was knocked out of the way

And then it started working and you were able to shift or you had to replace that?

·
I did done broke it
2,276 Posts
And then it started working and you were able to shift or you had to replace that?
Thats how I left it because I stopped caring because the stupid thing is rusting away

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally about to repair the upper ignition actuator. Anyone think it is worth it to just put a new ignition lock cylinder in there too?

They're only $30 and I feel like mine is a little jacked and it would be a lot easier while everything is taken apart.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts