Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw under drive pulleys in a magazine i was woundering if any one has put them on there bronco and if it would be worth it?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
I'll let you know how bad they are once mine are on. Probably be a couple weeks or so though. My curiosity is killing me! :D

·
Registered
465 Posts
Isnt it if you have a desent size lift and desent sized tires were they hurt you (bigger tires are harder to turn)? But, if your stock with stock sized tires your fine?

·
Registered
600 Posts
they are better for the hot rod group. The really dont show their effectiveness until high horsepower applications

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Isnt it if you have a desent size lift and desent sized tires were they hurt you (bigger tires are harder to turn)? But, if your stock with stock sized tires your fine?
I am failing to make the connection between underdrive pullies and tire size.

I always though that you didnt want the alternator turning any slower than it had to with the trucks. That was the reason most guys stay away from the underdrive pullies.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I am failing to make the connection between underdrive pullies and tire size.
I think he's referring to the underdrive pullies slowing down the power steering pump, combined with larger harder-to-turn tires.....

I know on a stock 4.6l Mustang, they are mathematically worth 8.9hp or something around there, from what I am told.

It seems to me that if you don't have large tires or a very large electrical demand, you would probably benefit from them....depending on what they underdrive and by how much.

Vince

·
Registered
490 Posts
I know on a stock 4.6l Mustang, they are mathematically worth 8.9hp or something around there, from what I am told.
Haha, you can see here how as I was typing that sentence, I became less and less sure of what I was talking about!

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
GTRider245 said:
I am failing to make the connection between underdrive pullies and tire size
The bigger/wider the tire and the more the wheel is offset, the harder it is to turn from side to side. Underdrive pullys slow the power steering pump pully. This reduces it's output at any given RPM.

Under drive pulleys are a poor idea on road only vehicles.

They are a horrible idea on an off road vehicle.
Reduced cooling
Reduced alt output
Reduced power steering

Not things you want for a lifted Bronco on 35" +/- tires with offroad lights/welder/on board air/ect, on a trail on a HOT August afternoon.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
My bad Smokingun. I missed the part about being harder to turn.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Under drive pulleys are a poor idea on road only vehicles.

They are a horrible idea on an off road vehicle.
Reduced cooling
Reduced alt output
Reduced power steering

Not things you want for a lifted Bronco on 35" +/- tires with offroad lights/welder/on board air/ect, on a trail on a HOT August afternoon.
Umm, ya. They suck for anything unless you're turning constant 2000 rpms.
I have 'em on my mustang, and even with a HP aluminum radiator, when I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day (Las Vegas hot days, 112*), I have to lean into the gas to keep the idle around 1200 to keep the temp down.

If I would have kept my stockers, they'd be on right now.:twak

1 - 14 of 14 Posts