Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bronco DOESN'T have any sort of light under the hood. I have one of the hanging ones that are portable but you have to plug that into a socket....so I was thinking...
Does anyone have any sort of light that is somewhat bright that you can clip onto the battery with those alligator clips?
I don't mean one that's on there full time but something that if I broke down in the dark I could clip it onto the battery and move it around to where-ever I needed light?

Years ago I used to have a really REALLY cheap one like that but I have no clue where it is.

Anyone have anything like that? Or where could I buy one? :popc1:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
My '96 doesn't have an under hood light either. I just mounted a mag light inside,so that I can have portable light anywhere I need it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one of those too but I would REALLY love something that I could hang somewhere.

Ever tried to hold a maglight AND change a part in the dark? I haven't...and I don't want to try it either. :histerica

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
True enough. Tried holding one with my teeth, and that didn't turn out too well. Busted lip-could have been making myself a new tooth!

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Fab something. Get a suitable taillight or domelight assy from a junk yard for a socket. Some wire and alligator clips and you're in business.

Or get a real under-hood light assy from the junk yard and install it.

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
LMC has these lights i cant find em in my catalouge but ive seen em its a box looking thing that has a light that you can pull out like a tape measure but it will lock in place, my bko has one and its pretty handy sometimes, its like a small droplight,

·
Registered
136 Posts
:santa I've seen one with a magnet on the back, it's pretty small so you can use it under the hood, I think it also can be plugged in the lighter. I think WAL-MART had it in the auto. section.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be pretty sweet to have a fabbed up headlight that has a magnet on it so it attaches to the underside of the hood. I would just need to fab up a little bracket to attach it and enough cable so that I could pull it off and move it ALL around the bronco...A headlight is pretty bright though. I would probably need some sort of switch so I could turn it off. Or I could just disconnect the alligator clips.

Now you guys have me thinkin' here...............

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm almost positive my stock hood still has the light attached to it, no bulb though. I can go check if you want it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Light idea

Dragon -
I have been thinking about the same thing lately. Here is my idea. Right now for my fog/driving lights I use 3/4" tractor lights (black. round sealed, and bright). They cost me like $5-$8 a light. Here is a picture of them:

I plan on getting new 6" true driving light safter Christmas to replace them.

1) I am going to take the tractor lights and mount them inside the engine bay.
2) I have a multiswitch (x6 fused switches) panel located inside the cab to patch into. (driving lights, underhood lights, etc)
3) Mount the lights into one of those spring clamps ($4.98) you get from Home Depot and give yourself a little extra wire so you can move it to where it is most used.Heck you could even use alittle wire loom to make it REALLY fancy!

4) I'll do a little writeup on this when I get it done.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
How about a 12 volt trouble light with alligator clips.If you can't find a pre-made one,then get a regular trouble light,put alligator clips on it and install a 12 volt light bulb.If you don't want to cut the plug off the trouble light(you could then use it with 110 volt,by changing the bulb),then get a short extension cord to put the alligator clips on and plug it into the trouble light.Presto-dual use trouble light.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The stock underhood ones are alright but being able to move it around is a plus. Plus I would love to have a bright one so that I can actually see things with it. I have a ton of good ideas from everyone...now I have to decide.
I like seeing what everyone else has done! :thumbup

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Xris said:
Dragon -
I have been thinking about the same thing lately. Here is my idea. Right now for my fog/driving lights I use 3/4" tractor lights (black. round sealed, and bright). They cost me like $5-$8 a light. Here is a picture of them:

I plan on getting new 6" true driving light safter Christmas to replace them.

1) I am going to take the tractor lights and mount them inside the engine bay.
2) I have a multiswitch (x6 fused switches) panel located inside the cab to patch into. (driving lights, underhood lights, etc)
3) Mount the lights into one of those spring clamps ($4.98) you get from Home Depot and give yourself a little extra wire so you can move it to where it is most used.Heck you could even use alittle wire loom to make it REALLY fancy!

4) I'll do a little writeup on this when I get it done.
Put that up in the write-up section when you have it done. Would love to see it! :twotu:

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts

I paid, something like $12 for this and it has about 20' of insulated wire with two aligator clips on the end that hook up to the battery. I can't remember where I got it, but I've seen this in several stores.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK...that would work! :chili: :chili: I've never seen one like that ANYWHERE! Now think back carefully...................................... where have you seen those?

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Why not a headlamp type thing? They are only about ten bucks, powered by AAA batteries, hands free, really bright, lightweight, and would be great to check your rig underneath after off-roading too.

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
I really can't remember where I got it. I think I bought it from a store that is only in Canada. Have you checked Sears or Walmart?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Try a RV dealer.. they have tons of 12V lighting.. fixed and portable.. man, you could even get a set of those party lanterns and string 'em across the inside of the hood.. then if you break down, pop the hood, and people will stop because they'll think you're having a partee.. free beer, wimmen of the female persuation, free labor.. hmmm.. think I'll patent this idea..

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Leave it to Ebay... I typed in 12 volt Trouble light and found a whole page of them. I got the Idea from waltman. Thanks.
But are they very bright? Or are they kinda wimpy?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts