Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a recent forum that asked what can be done to increase lighting underneath the hood in those instances where you break down in the middle of no-wheresville and it's late at night. Here is my solution. You may be thinking what about the stock light? I never thought the stock light threw-off enough lighting for my needs...so I decided to devise something alittle brighter and more mobile. By the way...after reading that forum I discovered that the stock light actually was retractable and magnatized...you can see that in the pics also. That was a pretty cool discovery after having the dang thing for the last 6 years! Anyway onto the pics.

1) I used a bicycle light I had laying around off my mountain bike. It is a dual halogen 3-way switch jobby. Here you see I added an extra length of wire complete with heat shrink and gator clips. That way I can clip it to any power source (inside or outside the cab).

2) The light came with it's own clip mechanism so I figure why waste it? I clipped the release plate to a larger clip (don't know the 'technical' name for this clip). These clips will run you between $3-$4 at any hardware store.

3) Here is a picture of the back side. Notice the black switch. I am able to activiate to turn left light, both or right light on if so desired.

4) Here is the complete setup with the light clipped in place.

5) ...Does it work! WHOOAAA. That sucker is bright! Positive wire clipped to positive source and negative to a ground source. Not sure what the life span will be...but for now it is in the glovebox just in case of emergency. If anyone has any other changes I should/could make let me know!

Estimated cost; $4 for big clip...approx. $13 for the light. = $17

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yet to test it in the dark

I have yet to test it in the dark. I'll do that tonight when I get it home...should be plenty dark by then! Even during the daytime (as you can see) the thing throws some pretty intense gigowatts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
just an add on but when I had my hood off last,I turned it over pressurewashed it and painted the whole underside with alluminum colored rust paint, I figured it would keep the rust from coming back in the seems and give a little better light. well it looks nice and clean and WOW it makes it real bright , i have an old fog light on a antenna magmount for the ground works great, If I could figure how to post pics I would, if anyone want a pic I could email it to them

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have the harbor freight light also. Along with my Mag light and other light options. None are as nice as the bicycly light idea.. Good one.. The HF light s cool and the price is great but I agree, the light is not very strong. It is cool that the cord can retract into the light.

I was thinking about getting a set or under car/dash/whatever LED lights (neon) type.. Get two 24 inch white ones and put them on the hood.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I bought a 10 dollar LED headband light at Target...tons of light and goes where my eyes go.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm on the LED headlamp bandwagon. It looks gay as hell but man is it convenient...

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
nice stuff. maybe try some bigger clips like the kind that a battery charger uses. that way you can always hook it to the battery terminals instead of looking for smaller power wires. i have a 12" penis...er flourescent light that i opened up and added about 25 feet of wire too so i can take it all the way to the back of the truck if i need light back there for flats or anything else

1 - 8 of 8 Posts