Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the oil in my new FSB for the first time today. Below the oil filter is a hose about 10 inches long that is not connected to anything on the end that runs by the filter. The other end passes through a hole in the frame/crossmember and ends about 2 inches down the frame rail - also not connected to anything.

Does anyone know what this hose is for? Is it possible that it is not necessary anymore due to being bypassed and was just because it is stuck in the frame? Or do I have something that I need that is not hooked up?

I looked in Haynes, but could not find anything reference.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I am going to take a shot in the dark and say that it's supposed to be your front differential breather hose. Take a look at the third member (back of the front differential) just above the passender side axle. If there is no hose coming off there, that's probably it. Should be a nipple I guess you could call it, about 1"(?) tall that it goes on if there is no hose on there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it is the breather hose, is the other end just suppossed to be running down the frame rail on my drivers side? or should it be connected to something?

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
Project Lazarus said:
I am going to take a shot in the dark and say that it's supposed to be your front differential breather hose. Take a look at the third member (back of the front differential) just above the passender side axle. If there is no hose coming off there, that's probably it. Should be a nipple I guess you could call it, about 1"(?) tall that it goes on if there is no hose on there.
:stupid

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
marv said:
:histerica
I know, it is a real noob question, but this is my first FSB and am doing my best. And even I am smart enough to know that a hose should not just be sitting there - I just have no idea where it should go because there is not an obvious connection with a missing hose that I can see. At least not in 10 inches or so. So I am thinking the hose may have fallen off and been cut during driving. It could go anywhere for all I know.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Project Lazarus said:
That's what I was thinking, but thought I would wait for the pic

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
keggin said:
I know, it is a real noob question, but this is my first FSB and am doing my best. And even I am smart enough to know that a hose should not just be sitting there - I just have no idea where it should go because there is not an obvious connection with a missing hose that I can see. At least not in 10 inches or so. So I am thinking the hose may have fallen off and been cut during driving. It could go anywhere for all I know.
Guys like to have fun around here. If the truck runs right, pull it out and forget it.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
marv said:
Guys like to have fun around here. If the truck runs right, pull it out and forget it.
no no no if it is the breather hose definately reinstall...other wise if you ever submerge your axle its going to fill up with water....been there done that

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
keggin said:
If it is the breather hose, is the other end just suppossed to be running down the frame rail on my drivers side? or should it be connected to something?
You want it mounted as high as you can get it, especially if you wheel. If you don't see any water or mud that's close to your frame, I don't guess there's any harm in running it along the frame.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I got mine running up to the fire wall and then dipping back down towards the ground at the DS fender. My master cylinder would have to be submerged for there to be a problem with my breather hose.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Project Lazarus said:
You want it mounted as high as you can get it, especially if you wheel. If you don't see any water or mud that's close to your frame, I don't guess there's any harm in running it along the frame.
Thanks. I looked at a couple of threads on extending all of the breather lines into the engine compartment. I think I will do that, even if it is not what that piece of hose is intended for.

My FSB is my hunting truck and pulls my duck hunting boat, so I while I don't go through mud holes, I do have to back into some lakes without boat ramps. So, no reason not to do it right because having to hitch home with a wet lab and a shtogun is no picnic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
waltman said:
I got mine running up to the fire wall and then dipping back down towards the ground at the DS fender. My master cylinder would have to be submerged for there to be a problem with my breather hose.
Does the type of breather on the end matter? Seems like some people used smaller, rice burner type air filters and some used fuel filters.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
keggin said:
Does the type of breather on the end matter? Seems like some people used smaller, rice burner type air filters and some used fuel filters.
I wouldn't know about those things, you should have a one way valve on the end.

actually I have nothing on the end (not smart) I just forgot to put a one way check valve on the end. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'll try and remember to buy one while I'm out tomorrow. I already have the check valve on the back, which reminds me, you may as well check to see if you have one on the rear dif and maybe extend that one too.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
:stupid

There's a couple different options for filters. You can get the ricey looking ones and bling up your engine compartment a little or there's a fuel filter that you can use that'll work just as well. I think Zach/BurnedBronco had a thread about that a while ago.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
Oldyeller said:
Never mess around with "unidentified hose" they'll give you some nasty diseases.

:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The breather should not have a check valve installed,as the oil heats up it expands and forces air out and when the oil cools it contract and draws air back in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts