Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for about a week I have been hearing a noise I thought it was an exhaust noise but it only seemed to do it in gear and it is intermittent. I finally got a second set of ears on it and we found it is coming from this thing!

if I cover the hole with my hand, the noise goes away and there is suction. If we removed the hose the noise gets louder and the more suction. When I am driving it very often sounds like a very load exhasut leak. Any insight on how to get ride of this noise so I dont get pulled over? I would just cover the hole but i don't want to dmage anything

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
That is the intake filter to your Thermactor Air Pump.

It appears to be positioned backwards. That hole in the side of it should be facing rearward and have an approximately 2' flexible tube that is tucked away by the firewall which acts as an air inlet and helps suppress noise.

Follow the rubber outlet line and you will see that it terminates at the Air Pump. :thumbup

In the below diagram, it is referenced as the "filter".

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I see what you mean. But there has never been a hose on there since I owned it. I did move it a few years ago when I did my dual batteries. It might sound dumb but are you saying if I add a hose to the inlet, and run it back and down the fender the noise will go away? Or is it poossible the filter is bad?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Probably. If you have suction, the filter is probably good. The noise is probably due to the filter intake's close proximity to the air pump.

Either fab a hose that doesn't collapse or find one at the junk yard. They just fit snug and pull off. Just avoid terminating your new hose end where it will suck up water, because as we all know, water doesn't compress...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts