Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, not really tech help so if the moderator feels he needs to move it, feel free to place it where it belongs

I haven't been around much, and since my post last night I've had several pple ask where I've been and how the project is going....so here goes

I've been too damn busy w/ work to really tear into the project BUT it has made some serious improvement

Rear end is in sitting on tires....used leaf springs. Crazy sick nasty clearance.....roughly 20" at center of pumpkin. That's w/ 12.5R 20 michelin xl tires. These are roughly 41" tall

Seperate emergency brake cables are hooked up to each Rear drum, and them tied into the cab again individually w/ a pull up e-brake from a sports car. I can lock up the brakes soley on the drivers side, pass. side or both.

Front end is sitting on coils. Have to make suspension for it, probally going w/ a 3-link w/ a panhard bar. One side will be much like a radius arm, the other a solid lower link. Thought about doing a dual radius arm setup w/ a wristed arm, still up in the air though.

Problems I'll be running into will be exhaust/front driveshaft clearance. Gonna have to ditch my Headman headers for some shortys. Also not gonna have ALOT of uptravel before pumpkin will hit skidplate below oilpan. Gonna reinforce and put a bumpstop..so to hopefully still have some flex.

That's about all. I'm gonna wait till spring to finish, as I have some stuff to sell to finsih funding the project. Still need pinion conversions, and custom driveshafts.

I'll be around some more for the winter..........:beer :beer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I sell some of the parts, I'll have to go to my buddies farm where the bronco sits int he barn. I'll have to steal his digi cam. so I can take some pics. I'm telling you, my rear pumpkin sits about as high as my f'n gastank!! and my truck only sits alittle bit higher than it did w/ 35's and a six inch lift!

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
good to see some progress info. this is one beast i really look forward to seeing, sorta reminds me of the blazer in TTC a year or two ago with the 42s and mogs. keep us updated, and make sure to get some pics

wes

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fordman7795 said:
where and how much were the mogs?

Bought online from private sellers........scooped the rear up for like 450 bucks!!! Waited and waited and found the front for 600bills, and cost another 175 to have it shipped. Missing the drums and brakes though. All told I got a smokin deal!! Also found 3 tires online for 120bucks, but turns out one of them ended up w/ a hole in it.

·
tired of your sh!t
2,882 Posts
smoothcharlene said:
Bought online from private sellers........scooped the rear up for like 450 bucks!!! Waited and waited and found the front for 600bills, and cost another 175 to have it shipped. Missing the drums and brakes though. All told I got a smokin deal!! Also found 3 tires online for 120bucks, but turns out one of them ended up w/ a hole in it.
if you're interested in discs,give Taradon a pm on pbb.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NOBS! said:
if you're interested in discs,give Taradon a pm on pbb.

I may go to disks in the future, but not right now. I have Been working with Rob from EXAXT...He is who sent me my rims, and who I am goign to order my drums for the front and pinion conversions from. Great guy, and I highly recommend him.

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
I'm in the middle of doing this swap also. Got mine from taradon. Custom front housing with custom inners to put dif in "ford" location. Got rear mounted briefly with some funky bolt on leaf spring mounts. Working on getting high steer arms right now, so I can doing something with front susp. Am also thinking 3 link with track bar, but considring wristed arm with super beefy drivers solid arm. Been working on this on/off for well over a year, all I can say is what a PIA. :banghead Lots of dollars too!! Smooth, if your still looking for drum brake stuff, I have most of it. I destroyed backing plates to get them off, but the rest of it I have, including drums (went with tardons disk brakes). Would like to compare notes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OX1 said:
I'm in the middle of doing this swap also. Got mine from taradon. Custom front housing with custom inners to put dif in "ford" location. Got rear mounted briefly with some funky bolt on leaf spring mounts. Working on getting high steer arms right now, so I can doing something with front susp. Am also thinking 3 link with track bar, but considring wristed arm with super beefy drivers solid arm. Been working on this on/off for well over a year, all I can say is what a PIA. :banghead Lots of dollars too!! Smooth, if your still looking for drum brake stuff, I have most of it. I destroyed backing plates to get them off, but the rest of it I have, including drums (went with tardons disk brakes). Would like to compare notes.
PIA is an understatement. I too have the rear in and sitting on tires. Stayed leafsprung, and Spring over axle. I am unsure of what exactly to do w/ the front as far as susp goes. I was thinking 3-link with a panhard bar. two lowers and one upper on the drivers side. Also thinking of setting the lower on the pass. side up to accept an upper link just in case I decide 3-link isn't enough and I need to go 4-link. Now the hard part is......what to use for materials for the links?? What were u thinking? I'm trying to use the stock 404front w/o having it shortened. I actually think I can make it work w/o keeping the truck too high so we'll see. I'm waiting for the weather to break, as the bronco is sitting in a barn with out heat.

What are u doing for driveshafts??? I was probably going to call High angle driveline for mine. What size u-joint do u plan to run at the diff??

I do still need everything for the front axle as far as brakes go, if your willing to part with it. How much??

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Mog shit is tough ass! Id love to see some pix, any pix, ASAP! Sounds awesome!!

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
What did you do for leaf pads? The center of leaves are exactly at the center of where the cast extension housing meets the center housing section.

http://ox.users.superford.org/UNIMOG/rearIN_leaf perch/DCP01154.JPG

I made some leaf pad brackets, they are flat on top (like normal leaf pads), and have plates that come down and bolt to either side of both parts of housing. No pics of leaf pads yet. I removed overload leaf and ended up with about 5" actual lift (over stock height) in rear, which is about where I want to be.

One large problem with the front, is the bottom of coil springs end up over the upper ball joint. Even using a stock spring, an offset mount will need to be made about 3-4" higher off top of tube (lotsa total lift there). No way I'm going 4 link, I'll just keep making the 3rd link beefier if needed :). I'd use at least 2", 1/4 wall for links. DOM, but no moly, I don't trust myself welding that stuff. I plan on retaining rad arm bushings on rear end. I'm still considering wristed arm, but I need to get my high steer worked out, then I can think about building front links. Stock tie rods are right in the way of everything.
No way a wristed stock arm works here.

http://ox.users.superford.org/UNIMOG/DCP00804.JPG

I did not have front shortened, I had it moved over with full length housing.
(and both inners custom)

http://members.ispwest.com/luxjo/DCP01231.jpg

This is why. Here is stock housing, installed at stock suspension height.

http://ox.users.superford.org/UNIMOG/FRONTaxleINbronc/DCP00943.JPG

As for driveshafts, I plan on stock 1330 non-CV shafts for now. Theoretically, shafts should see less stress due to such a high overall rear end gear (vs a doubler). I can't afford jesse's shafts right now, I got WAY too much money tied up in this stuff already. Here is front with diff where modded housing puts it. That modded front housing fixes about 10 different problems :) if your going with very little susp lift.

http://ox.users.superford.org/UNIMOG/FRONTaxleINbronc/DCP00946.JPG

I figure cut 4" off of shaft shown here and I'll be good.

http://ox.users.superford.org/UNIMOG/FRONTaxleINbronc/DCP00948.JPG

Rear angle is not bad really.

http://ox.users.superford.org/UNIMOG/rearIN_leaf perch/DCP01156.JPG

I'll talk to ya offline about the brake stuff. I'd sell it very cheap. Good to hear that I'm not the only lunatic out there wasting half my life on these axles. :thumbup Keep me informed on your progress.

OX

smoothcharlene said:
PIA is an understatement. I too have the rear in and sitting on tires. Stayed leafsprung, and Spring over axle. I am unsure of what exactly to do w/ the front as far as susp goes. I was thinking 3-link with a panhard bar. two lowers and one upper on the drivers side. Also thinking of setting the lower on the pass. side up to accept an upper link just in case I decide 3-link isn't enough and I need to go 4-link. Now the hard part is......what to use for materials for the links?? What were u thinking? I'm trying to use the stock 404front w/o having it shortened. I actually think I can make it work w/o keeping the truck too high so we'll see. I'm waiting for the weather to break, as the bronco is sitting in a barn with out heat.

What are u doing for driveshafts??? I was probably going to call High angle driveline for mine. What size u-joint do u plan to run at the diff??

I do still need everything for the front axle as far as brakes go, if your willing to part with it. How much??

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
OX,
what you need to do with your rear springs is inboard them where they are inline with the frame, that way they will meet up with the good part of the housing. here are a few links of a few different write-ups on this from the pirate4x4.com message board.

i cant find the write-up of a 78 f-250 (i believe thats what it is) due to the search function being down on that board, but here is a dodge write-up that is just as good, if not better than the ford one. the pics tell the story, he fills in the details

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=187592&perpage=25&pagenumber=3

that is what i recommend, it will decrease stability a bit, but i dont think that will be a problem on a bronco.

just my 2 cents

wes

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion!!. I thought about that and even a spring under, but my main objective at this point is to keep the stock mounting points on the frame (except for 3rd link in front and rear traction bar/shocks). I figure if I roll it and really trash the frame, I can just swap stuff over easier. I also may put them under my mudder bronc (someday) and just have one wheelin bronc eventually. I think the leaf brackets were actually easier to make than inboarding??

OX

WES said:
OX,
what you need to do with your rear springs is inboard them where they are inline with the frame, that way they will meet up with the good part of the housing. here are a few links of a few different write-ups on this from the pirate4x4.com message board.

i cant find the write-up of a 78 f-250 (i believe thats what it is) due to the search function being down on that board, but here is a dodge write-up that is just as good, if not better than the ford one. the pics tell the story, he fills in the details

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=187592&perpage=25&pagenumber=3

that is what i recommend, it will decrease stability a bit, but i dont think that will be a problem on a bronco.

just my 2 cents

wes

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
massbronco said:
do you still have the front locker you were suppose to sell to me but never shipped it?

yes actually I do....however last I talked I was under the impression that you were tired of waiting for the locker, so I never bothered to pull it from the diff. If you still are interested PM me and we'll talk about it.

Oh and for what it is worth to anyone who reads this......The money was never sent for this (I did not ask him too, and I dropped the ball not mass bronco) The way the post sounded, I didn't want anyone to think I ran off w/ you money that's all. I justed wanted that clear right now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts