Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like everyone else I love having the top off the bronco... I'm not a huge fan of the soft tops available for it but like the idea of being able to have that open feel whenever I please and covered back up if it starts to rain. Very nervous of soaking my entire interior. That said, I've been brainstorming about a way I can keep my hardtop on and get that open feel very easily. Cost not being an object, I thought about looking into the possibility of installing a universal ragtop into the hardtop. Something like this: 40" x 55" Sliding Ragtop Folding Sunroof Kit

Now, I did a lot of research and have seen some discussions about it but cannot find where anyone has installed one. I'm fairly meticulous about keeping this as neat and clean of an install as possible. Any thoughts on the ability to do this?

Even if I can get this successfully installed with a clean look to the headliner, that's only half the battle and the other half I don't even really have a solution for. That would be the side windows in the top... If only CRL still made the MSS909 sliding windows!! Then I could reinstall all the interior trim around the top, have it super clean and factory looking put back the ragtop with the push of a button and the sliders and shazaam!

What could be done with the side windows? fully removable side windows would be nice. Yes, I know I can take mine out and its not all that hard, but putting them back in without lube and time is a b!tch! I'd really like to figure a way to make the windows easily removable and easy to put back in, or obviously sliders but that doesn't appear to be an option and even if I was lucky enough to find an old set I wouldn't be able to replace the weather stripping for them since they dont make them anymore..... this is going to take some ingenuity and possibly $$ to be as clean as I'd like but I'm ok with that is it all works out

·
Premium Member
1994 EB 351 (Sold)
276 Posts
Would it be possible, cost not an issue, to have a shop cut the top into three pieces? The top and two sides could be mated together like an old FJ40. Attaching them with quick action latches like the Jeep hard top on the four door models. This would make removable very easy and quick.

Another option would be to install the top slider of your choosing then just make a frame in the current side window location that will accept side panels from a pick up topper.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you search this site, I'm pretty sure there was a write up where someone modified a factory hard top to basically serve as a "Frame" for one of the available bikini / soft top options.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not think about cutting up the top into sections but I think that may be more complicated than I'm going for. If it was ever done I'd love to see it! I did think about modifying to accept sliders from a pick up topper but depending how closely it resembled the current shape I don't think that would be so pretty.

I did see the cut top to serve as a frame for a bikini top. I believe I saw it served as a frame for a fast back style soft top as well. This may fall in as a backup plan if I can't make anything work. I just saw a 95 bronco being parted out this weekend so I may try and snag that top for experiments. I think the ragtop is the easier part of this even though I have not seen one installed before even through extensive searching.

What I'm thinking for the side windows is some sort of custom aluminum frame that is the same shape and the current window with a rubber seal around and permanently mounting it to the window. The custom frame would slide into the current opening and be stopped by the lip that the weather seal sits over. they would be a few latches on the frame that hold it in place with some pressure to keep the seal water tight.

thinking if I can get that to work I can have a nearby shop install an electric ragetop pretty easily. and them I'm in business. I have a friend who may be able to help me mod these windows to work.

Again the ultimate goal is to make it so versatile I never need to take the hardtop off again. Just pull the windows and hit a button for the ragtop. I'd like to have something ready when summer rolls around!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts