Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i put my bronco in reverse and turn the wheel (backing out of a parking place) the front tires dont roll smothley.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
When i put my bronco in reverse and turn the wheel (backing out of a parking place) the front tires dont roll smothley.
That sucks.

More info please. Define "dont roll smoothly". Neither do mine, but they are mud tires and I dont expect them to. Does the truck "hop" or is it a vibration? How fast are you going when you notice this? How far do you have to turn before you notice it? How big are the tires? What tread pattern? Is the truck lifted?

It may be your tires rubbing on your fenders, bumper or radius arms.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sucks.

More info please. Define "dont roll smoothly". Neither do mine, but they are mud tires and I dont expect them to. Does the truck "hop" or is it a vibration? How fast are you going when you notice this? How far do you have to turn before you notice it? How big are the tires? What tread pattern? Is the truck lifted?

It may be your tires rubbing on your fenders, bumper or radius arms.

Well the truck is stock no lift and has street tires.

It is more like a hop and i am only going a few miles an hour backing out of a parking place.

I dont have to turn the wheel vary maybe half way

I dont think the tires are rubbing on anything.

Could it be the wheel bearings?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jack the front up and turn one wheel. See if it spins freely. See if the axleshaft turns. Do the same with the other wheel. Post up the results.

Do you have manual or automatic hubs?
I have automatic hubs, but 4x4 will not engage.
i have only had the bronco for a couple of months and 4x4 is not on the top of my list yet.

i am at the fire station tonight i will try to jack it up tomorrow when i get off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
when u jack it up stick a prybar under the wheel and lift the wheel up and down. and watch if the ball joints move with it. then remove the wheel and move the hub back and forth. if it pops back and forth u have to service em. be sure to safely do these things! these vehicles are heavy!!

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
when u jack it up stick a prybar under the wheel and lift the wheel up and down. and watch if the ball joints move with it. then remove the wheel and move the hub back and forth. if it pops back and forth u have to service em. be sure to safely do these things! these vehicles are heavy!!
What he said, but what I do is jack the truck up, grab the tire and see if there is any play in the wheel/hub. If there is play from side to side (left to right) its most likely the wheel bearings. If there is play top to bottom, its most likely ball joints. Do these little tests and along with kf4amu's suggestions and let us know if you find anything unusual...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would agree with the above, get the front both sides on 2 jack stands, and check all steering and suspension parts for severe wear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts