Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As popular as desert racing is becoming I'm not suprised to see this rather than a truck focused towards crawling. Either way, I was excited to hear about any serious effort from Ford towards an off-highway capable production vehicle.

FourWheeler.com said:
Codename: “Raptor”
Ford Secretly Works On Production Long Travel F-150
Posted January 28 2008 12:45 PM by seanpholman
Filed under: What's New, Four Wheeling Products, Big 3 & Import News, Ford

Rumor has it that Ford is working on a factory long-travel 4x4 and we have been busy digging up some of the details....

We have been hearing chatter and rumors from various sources and we have confirmed that Ford is working on a long travel version of the all-new 2009 F-150, codenamed “Raptor”. The on again, off again program appears to be on again and is far along in its development.

From what we have gathered, the truck is probably a year and a half or two years away from production if the program isn’t cancelled before then. Sources tell us that the truck is lower and wider than a standard F-150 and uses reservoir shocks that are being co-developed with Fox Racing. Tires are said to be in the 33-35-inch range and a selectable locker, first unveiled on the new F-150, is thought to be part of the package.

We also hear from sources that the truck (which probably won’t be called Raptor when it goes in to production) will feature unique styling with bulged fenders to accommodate the increased tire size and suspension travel.

Engine output is said to be “high”, and will probably will use the upcoming Boss V-8, possibly an EcoBoost turbocharged varient. In fact, the Raptor has been mistaken for the next Lightning in F-150 enthusiast circles, based on the rumored engine.

Excited? So are we. As we learn more information, we will be sure to keep you in the loop. Special thanks goes to www.pickuptruck.com and Brian Williams for Brenda Priddy & Company for the photo.

--Sean P. Holman
Tech Editor – Four Wheeler Magazine
http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/6227838/whats-new/ford-secretly-works-on-production-long-travel-f-150/index.html

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
cooooooooooooooooooool :toothless

I doubt it'll make it through the corporate gauntlet, but if it does, I'd seriously consider buying a new F150 for the first time in ages.

·
No prepuce on my -
1,167 Posts
that thing is going to be dead...unless something seriously changes with ford corporate.
I agree. Way to specialized...heck ford can't even roll out a economy sized, mass produced, mini-bronco....let alone a factory off-road machine. I say no way.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,495 Posts
They say it could make it out because it has been in stages of planning and building for the past 2 years...

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
yeah and so was the new lightening but never made it to production either. IMO there was more market there then this deal

·
No prepuce on my -
1,167 Posts
And the mini-bronco or concept bronco or whatever you call it...it was at the show in detroit in 2004...it has been in the "planning and building" for 4 years now... It would be a miracle it hits the streets in 2 more years. And that is a daily driver market...not a specialty rig like this.

·
Registered
904 Posts
maby ford wants to improve there trucks imagine with a limited production desert ass kicker? hell i dont know, just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE

From autoblog.com:

As the days go on, the much rumored F-150 Raptor is becoming less wild speculation and more solid reality. Dealers were given a glimpse of the forth-coming truck at the Ford Dealer Show in Las Vegas, and they haven't shied away from spilling the beans regarding what they saw. Ford marketing boss Jim Farley unveiled the Ford-embossed front grille of the baja F-150, then showed video of a juiced-up off-road mule tearing it up in the desert.

Farley also revealed some details about the Raptor's new powerplant, which is believed to be the 6.2L "BOSS" V8. Power was quoted at 380 hp, but both PickupTruck.com and Four Wheeler believe Ford is sand-bagging on the engine's real power quotient, which they feel will be in the ballpark of 420 ponies. We're guessing 420 would be a much more appropriate number considering the size of the engine and rumors that the truck may be formally labeled as an SVT product. Dealers were also shown one of the Raptor's long-travel shocks, which was built by Fox Racing especially for the Raptor and has a full 12 inches of travel.

Ford is reportedly very excited about the Raptor, and execs allegedly went as far as saying that the Blue Oval was going to drive the truck "right up Toyota's ass." Ouch, we hope that's a metaphor. At this time there is no word as to when the Raptor will be available to customers, but since it's being shown to dealers, it likely isn't too far off.

I will be wanting one of these!

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts

:scratchhe

I dunno. I have very mixed thoughts & feelings about the truck AND Ford itself. Verdict when it sees the light of day, and that means at the end of an assembly line.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
That looks sweet.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
i would rather see a 1/2 ton rig with a SFA, 33"s or 35"s. a no frills truck with strong bumpers and body panels that could be used for work and hitting the trails without getting beat to chit or breaking down all the time, a truck built for durability that'll last 15 years with some maintenance

·
Registered
294 Posts
i would rather see a 1/2 ton rig with a SFA, 33"s or 35"s. a no frills truck with strong bumpers and body panels that could be used for work and hitting the trails without getting beat to chit or breaking down all the time, a truck built for durability that'll last 15 years with some maintenance
lol now thats wishful thinking. The sole reason in all likelihood for these trucks is to introduce the long-travel suspension as a dealer option for future trucks not really to produce and specialty desert-racing truck. Thats why it is going to get through Ford corporate Also if its a Roush truck, than that means Ford itself has to do very little other than the final peice together, and selling but all the hard R&D was done by Roush.

Bet its going to cost more than a Lincoln F150 too.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hopefully they do a little better fit and finish on the final product.. All of those body panels just look tacked on there.. None of the peices look to line up right.. When I was working in a bodyshop, if we had tried to let something that looked like that leave the shop, wed probably be fired.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Ford is reportedly very excited about the Raptor, and execs allegedly went as far as saying that the Blue Oval was going to drive the truck "right up Toyota's ass."

:rofl:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts