Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it runs GREAT! Tons of tire spinning torque, smooth cruise, instant throttle response. This is really the way to go on these old Bronco's.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A dangerous 0.060" overbore on a 400M, but I had the block sonic checked and it had enough meat in the bores.

(4.060" bore x 4.060 bore)/4 *3.14159 * 4 inch stroke * 8 cylinders = 414.3 cid

Will post up pics tomorrow, have to retrieve my camera from work....

In fact, I might drive it to work tomorrow and take a few pics while there.

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
BigWheelz said:
A dangerous 0.060" overbore on a 400M, but I had the block sonic checked and it had enough meat in the bores.

(4.060" bore x 4.060 bore)/4 *3.14159 * 4 inch stroke * 8 cylinders = 414.3 cid

Will post up pics tomorrow, have to retrieve my camera from work....

In fact, I might drive it to work tomorrow and take a few pics while there.

sweet :thumbup

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great job

Great job man, its about time. Now you can sit back and enjoy all the hard work and money that went into it. I'll come over Tuesday and take it for a spin.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
what EFI are you running on it?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jopes said:
what EFI are you running on it?
It is an adapted EEC IV with parts from all over.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Palehorse said:
Great job man, its about time. Now you can sit back and enjoy all the hard work and money that went into it. I'll come over Tuesday and take it for a spin.
Sounds like a plan. It has a code 85, adaptive strategy lean limit. No other codes. I think maybe I need an afpr to fine tune the mixture a bit.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
more info on your EEC-IV.

I am currently in the middle of my own swap and it is including a bastard list of parts from various vechiles. I am how ever going to use a tweecer rt to tune mine all up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
BigWheelz said:
Sounds like a plan. It has a code 85, adaptive strategy lean limit. No other codes. I think maybe I need an afpr to fine tine the mixture a bit.
Yeah, hopefully a kirban will be able to straighten it out. You got the injectors seated better?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Palehorse said:
Yeah, hopefully a kirban will be able to straighten it out. You got the injectors seated better?
Yeah, I fixed that vacuum leak yesterday. I moved the O-ring spacer on the injector and that solved the problem.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BlueBronco said:
Actually, thats not bad on a 335 series block. In fact, its one of their strong points. :thumbup
Thats good to hear. I had the block checked, but I start getting nervous on anything past 0.030.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jopes said:
more info on your EEC-IV.

I am currently in the middle of my own swap and it is including a bastard list of parts from various vechiles. I am how ever going to use a tweecer rt to tune mine all up.
I sourced most of my parts from a local scrap yard called dismantlers 2000 , Jegs, and ebay. Here are the parts I can remember:

Vortech T-rex fuel pump (Noisy but very nicely made)
C&L 76 mm mustang air meter (86-93)
30 lb/hr injectors
Adapted mustang fuel rails (86-93)
70 mm throttle body
Holley weld in injector bungs
Old holley single plane intake
CHP EFI spyder upper intake
351W TFI distributor with 351M/400 gear
Australian 302 heads
Cam that closely resembles specs of the stock ford 5.0 HO cam
Roller rockers
Edelbrock valve springs
Ford racing EFI wiring harness & sensors kit
Electric fan from a lincoln Mark VIII
3G Altenator
A9P Mustang Processor
Lokar throttle pedal, cable, and kickdown cable.

I am sure there are tons of incidentals that I am forgetting.... I must have wired in at least a dozen relays to control various functions like the NDS, electric fan, fuel pump, etc.

I thought about using a tweecer as well, but I want to see if I can bring the engine under control without it. So far it looks VERY promising, It runs very smooth and the only code I get is an 85, fuel trim lean limit. A little more fuel pressure should bring the fuel trim to a normal range.

Good luck with your swap. It was a lot of work for me, but the end result is worth it.

PS: Please don't forget to put an inertia switch on the fuel pump

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
with a 5.0 cam profile you have to be choking that 400. I was going to go that way with the MAF to trick the ECM, but decided a 90mm LMAF and a tweecer was far better choice since I now have control over everything. My biggest issue was the timine curve of the dizzy. No control = problems. my cr is up around 10.2:1

what octane are you running in that engine?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That cam is as much cam as I would want in a 4x4 truck, especially one with a 4" stroke. Torque off idle is what the truck needs, and it has tons of that. The LSA is wide, minimizing overlap for better economy w/o sacrificing much torque. We will see what fuel economy is, but I am guessing somewhere around 14 mpg. I drove about 80 miles today and only burned a 1/4 tank.

Bumping the fuel pressure fixed the lean issue, now it just purrs. She seems to be OK with 87 octane, which is what I designed the combo to run. The timing curve is not really much of a concern to me, the automatic 5.0 mustang map is really most ideal for my needs. If I need to "Tweec" it I will, but right now it seems to be just fine.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
do you have your cam card or could you post the cam specs. And do you know what your compression ratio actually is?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts