Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i took your advice and bought an OBD-1 scanner. i had previously took my bronco to get a smog check, and it did not pass. and since cash is tight right now. im going to try to fix my truck myself, with a little help from my buddy and hopefully the bronco gurus on this forum. is there a anything i should know before using the scanner. thanks much in advance.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Read the manual, make sure the engine is warmed up before doing the KOEO test, shut off the A/C, don't forget to floor the accelerator when you're supposed to, and read the manual again.
And if you didn't get the extension cable, you might wish that you did, it makes doing the tests so much easier (you can run the tests from the driver's seat). But not having the cable is not a show stopper.

Good Luck

·
Registered
263 Posts
hey guys i took your advice and bought an OBD-1 scanner. i had previously took my bronco to get a smog check, and it did not pass. and since cash is tight right now. im going to try to fix my truck myself, with a little help from my buddy and hopefully the bronco gurus on this forum. is there a anything i should know before using the scanner. thanks much in advance.
If it only shows 000 when you run the test and doesn't seem to be doing anything, check to see if you have the scanner plugged in upside down. If it passes the KOEO portion of the test you'll get an 11 code, then a 10 to show it's moved on to the next portion. Then it goes on to report codes logged in memmory. If a code comes up in the KOEO test, don't bother running the Engine Running test until you have repaired the codes that come up in the Engine OFF test and you can get an 11 after running the test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts