Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this weekend, I washed, claybared, and waxed the truck, cut out all of the rust on the one fender, bondo'd it, rust bullet, and primered it, then i sanded down the tailgate rust, rust bullet'd it, took off the top, painted the wheels black, put on the wheels with the MT tires, painted the front grill glossy black, rust bullet'd the front bolts, okay i think thats it, not bad for a friday, saturday and sunday job

rust after i removed most of the rust

pretty gross actually

grill painting

all done with the grill

rust bullet over the rust

my friend helping paint the wheels with the MT tires, while I was working on the fender

my first job with bondo not real smooth but i'll work with it..

primer, i had bought some spray paint which i thought was the color, well i was wrong, so i left it primered

UGLY rust

down to the bare paint, and then rust bulleted it

side shot of what i accomplished, you can see the wheels and tires

rear end shot

front end of the grill and tires

still have to get the piece to cover the rust hole in the back, and rework the fender a bit

I was planning on lifting it, but I like the stance with the 31 MTs, I'm probably gonna keep it like this for a bit, and eventually raise it up.. what do you guys think? :beer

never got around to getting the runningboards off ahh, they look horrible, but it sure is fun to drive and ride around in

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Did you take the trim ring off the fender? I ask because it doesnt look like it, removing it will make the job easier. Keep up the good work and Good Luck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i didn't know how to take it off, but i'll get a new one if i need it, right now it wasn't supposed to be pretty, just covering the hole over the rust

not sure that i'm going to paint the spare, maybe i should, it has the other tire on it though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, and ididn't think it would harden up, but it did acutally

·
Crusher Mike
6,111 Posts
It looks decent. SO you do know that the first time that water gets sprayed on the grill and rims at a high pressure the paint will flake right.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks decent. SO you do know that the first time that water gets sprayed on the grill and rims at a high pressure the paint will flake right.
uh.. no... pretty sure it wont, because i've used it on rims before and it never flaked, its special wheel paint... not just regular paint, and i clear coated it too, the paint on the grill is krylon so it will stay on plus i clear coated that too.. i thought ahead it wont flake

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not bad at all for a weekend. I'd ditch the running boards, paint the eb tan black, and the headlight trim black. :)
i like the tan on red actually, i was thinking of black on red, but i think ill do black accents, running boards are going to get taken off sometime soon, hey if anyone wants to come by and steal them off the truck please do so haha, and the headlight trim WILL be black by wednesday:popc1:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Any tips or what is the "special" paint? I am getting some steel wheels for my 38's this weekend and they are gray and want them black. I also painted my headlight trim from chrome to black.

chrome

Black

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they make wheel paint, i sanded them down a little bit and then sprayed them, and then hit them with clear too... they didn't have it at advance auto parts (the black color) but they had it at pep boys... didn't see a shiny version just flat black, so i clear coated them

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
You know withfilling that hole with bondo and not backing it with anything solid (i.e. weld in metal patch) it's about a 99% chance its gonna snap, crackle, and pop. Bonbo and any body filler should never be applied more than 1/8" thick 1/4" at most but thats pushing it. Bondo can also accelerate the rusting process because it hold moisture. For your first time it doesn't look bad and I did the same thing my first run around. If you've got more areas to do like the tail gate, make sure you get rid of the rust completely and put something solid in that hole before you bondo it. You're on the right track but I'd hate to see you have to redo the whole thing in 6 months!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know withfilling that hole with bondo and not backing it with anything solid (i.e. weld in metal patch) it's about a 99% chance its gonna snap, crackle, and pop. Bonbo and any body filler should never be applied more than 1/8" thick 1/4" at most but thats pushing it. Bondo can also accelerate the rusting process because it hold moisture. For your first time it doesn't look bad and I did the same thing my first run around. If you've got more areas to do like the tail gate, make sure you get rid of the rust completely and put something solid in that hole before you bondo it. You're on the right track but I'd hate to see you have to redo the whole thing in 6 months!!
thanks man, i plan on getting it professionally done sometime, i did put a layer of rust bullet inbetween the bondo and the metal to prevent that, it will probably crack but theres not a whole lot i could do without welding, and i dont have a welder, with the tailgate i sanded it down to the metal and rust bulleted it, I am buying a piece that covers it so i dont have to bondo it:chili:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry to dig it up. but I finally got my truck back, i came home one day and looked underneath it and i dropped all the tranny fluid, i had the trans rebuilt its an AOD, and I put on the repair panel to cover the old rust that i had covered with rust bullet on the tailgate.. and put on my Imports Suck sticker... Getting a flowmaster 40 installed next week :toothless

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unscrewing the grill would'e been quicker than all that masking...
Anyway, If you want to get rid of the running boards, let me know. I'd like a set like that for mine... Just too poor to muy them new.

the runningboard on the left could use a new fiberglassing job, it musta been hit underneath, but i mean they work, their just not gorgeous, you can have them for shipping, as long as i can get them off!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts