Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
theres tons of things that can be done. what is low dollar to you? you can get a set of aftermarket heads and change the intake to a mustang style or edelbrock truck intakes. both good options. headers, aftermarket y pipe, open up the exhaust. cheap is a relative term, probably none of these things will get done for under 500. search around, there is plenty of good info. btw, go introduce your self in the introduction forums. welcome to FSB!! :thumbup

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Define, "low price," too. There are things you can do from free to tens of thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
302 Posts
SigEpBlue said:
Define, "low price," too. There are things you can do from free to tens of thousands of dollars.
Ok, lets focus on the low end. What does everyone think are the best upgrades for under $400.00?

·
Premium Member
1994 Bronco XLT , 5.8 EFI, 6" Lift, 35X12.5 BFGs K3
6,836 Posts
Most easiest and cheapest is the K&N Filter upgrade, if it is a fuel injected year. Look into exhaust as well. Good Flowmaster muffler, 2.5 to 3" exhaust, and make sure the cat is good. That's what I would start with.

·
Premium Member
1994 Bronco XLT , 5.8 EFI, 6" Lift, 35X12.5 BFGs K3
6,836 Posts
Agreed sewiv.. I just installed the Generation Pack II , it comes with a little killer bracket, holds the filter in better. I trashed my first filter cause of lack of support.. For another 100 bucks, I thought it was a better deal..

Also, on upgrades to your 5.8 . check out the sensors as well. Make sure all are in working order. You can clean a few with brake cleaner . I would check the basics first, then start upgrading.. For instance, a bad smog pump is gonna make your rig run like crap..

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Haynes manual, a DVOM, and a vacuum gauge are probably the best tools to finding performance, power, and efficiency. The closer you can bring things to their optimal conditions, the better off the rig is going to be overall. Normal maintenance items can go a long way, too.

I second exhaust, air filter, and ignition upgrades. You can easily go over $400 in the exhaust department, but headers and a Y-pipe (with or without replacement cats) are probably the best/noticeable upgrades I've done.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
jjdruffel said:
Does anybody Know of any good upgrades for lower prices for the ford 351?

Could you be any more vague? Year, EFI or carb? What do you use it for? Search!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The absolute cheapest and BEST upgrade I did was bumping my timing from 9 deg stock to 12.5 deg. My off idle response improved drastically and I gained 1.7 mpg! bumping me up to 15.1 mpg. That was doing nothing else.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
B-man said:
For instance, a bad smog pump is gonna make your rig run like crap..
How? The smog pump pumps air downstream of the O2 sensor, so it doesnt even effect the mixture or anything in the motor...this makes no sense.

Do you mean EGR?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.