Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bone stock 1986 XLT with 5.0 FI, AOD tranny, Single shock per wheel... only 68K original miles. Runs perfectly I want to be able to utilize a Class III hitch for the small stuff like bike rack, Kyack, etc. But also be able to pull locally a small boat, utility trailer or pop up camper, wood chipper rental, etc.

Question: Besides the Hitch and Trailer wiring harness install.... What else is recommended?
- Tranny Cooler ?
  • Alternator upgrade?
  • Rear Spring upgrade (mine are original.
  • Brakes??
Thanks

·
Registered
96 XLT 5.8 E4OD 4in lift with 35's
39 Posts
If you are just staying local you will be fine. If you are going to do a long trip I would look into a trans cooler if your rig doesn't have one. What ever you do DO NOT go to U-Haul for towing equipment they will rape you! I worked for U-Haul years ago and we were taught to sell.sell.sell.

·
Registered
432 Posts
as long as everything is working order, and you aren't planning on pulling more than you are rated for, just hitch and wiring. if you are planning on pulling near rating for a long time, trans cooler, maybe a rear diff cooler. trailer brakes are useful if pulling more than about 2500-3k, due to the short wheel base (they're helpful anyways, but extra helpful on a Bronco)

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you are just staying local you will be fine. If you are going to do a long trip I would look into a trans cooler if your rig doesn't have one. What ever you do DO NOT go to U-Haul for towing equipment they will rape you! I worked for U-Haul years ago and we were taught to sell.sell.sell.
really? I got a car hauler for a day rental for 53 bucks to tow my 86 home,couple hundred miles round trip. Local places with a flat bed car hauler where $100+ per day. and it worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
96 XLT 5.8 E4OD 4in lift with 35's
39 Posts
really? I got a car hauler for a day rental for 53 bucks to tow my 86 home,couple hundred miles round trip. Local places with a flat bed car hauler where $100+ per day. and it worked flawlessly.
Rental trucks and trailers are good rates. I installed hitches and wiring,brake controllers,trans coolers,and even did a few 5th wheels. They would have us up sell a 4 pin trailer wiring to a 5 pin round plug or a 7 pin round or upgrade a trans cooler to a heavy duty one.They liked to sell people more than they really needed.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Rental trucks and trailers are good rates. I installed hitches and wiring,brake controllers,trans coolers,and even did a few 5th wheels. They would have us up sell a 4 pin trailer wiring to a 5 pin round plug or a 7 pin round or upgrade a trans cooler to a heavy duty one.They liked to sell people more than they really needed.
ah, I've never gotten upgrades for my trucks there, only use them to rent equipment when I don't have what I need.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,518 Posts
I wouldn't even sweat it with the small things you're talking about. If you tow a lot and do hills and long distances, a tranny cooler and 4.10's or even 4.56 will go a looong way. There's a thread around here somewhere with decades of pics of our Bronco's towing stuff of all kinds.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,444 Posts
Unless you are pulling a big I/O boat or a vehicle I wouldn't worry about anything.
Everyone should probably have a trans temp gauge of some sort, a cooler can't hurt as your transmission's life depends on temp control.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts