Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I finally made the dive and joined the group. Ive been searching these forums high and low to keep the old ball & chain running but unfortunately she finally blew a pump and killed herself. Interior is immaculate and she's a beauty with lots of additions so im getting her a new 302. Because im in good ol California im just going for a straight replacement. Im wondering what easy upgrades anyone would recommend...? She broke down in the middle of nowhere (nor cal) so im working with a small shop and of course a budget. but still figure its worth doing while putting the new engine in. Im in the planning stage while waiting for the engine. Ive read about the 6 liter tune but I am wondering if there are any other easy not super expensive upgrade options I can throw at this shop and spend some more money for a little more power.

PS I'm ready for the Tiger, JR, and newbie jokes!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,963 Posts
Tiger woods and Earnhardt JR? Search you f***ing noob! (completely joking)

So being an 86 302, its fuel injected running on speed density. That is not very friendly for upgrades. Best bet would be the six litre tune, moving to an 87+ air filter box and tubes, and insulating the whole air inlet system.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,963 Posts
Oh, and a good, free flowing exhaust.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and a good, free flowing exhaust.
Great advice and I think we can easily do those! Yeah first year of EFI what drag. Running Flowmasters currently. I did notice the air was garbage when i bought the thing a vice grip was holding the box, together :) Thanks!

·
Addicted to Junk
11,963 Posts
85 was actually the first year, but yeah. Most people don't realize the airbox sits atop the engine for those two years. That destroys the box and gets hotter.

·
Registered
330 Posts
A set of Trick-Flo heads and a mild com won't work on this because of the EFI system?
I think the BIG gains in Hp happen when these things are made to breathe, limiting thing being the crappy low flow ports in the heads

·
Addicted to Junk
11,963 Posts
A set of Trick-Flo heads and a mild com won't work on this because of the EFI system?
I think the BIG gains in Hp happen when these things are made to breathe, limiting thing being the crappy low flow ports in the heads
The SD computer is difficult to adapt to high performance parts. Its doable, and will run on a stock tune, but not efficiently. And being in CA he has strict smog regulations.

Comp cams 35-512-8 is an aggressive cam for a speed density engine. For a MAF engine, its mild. I used it, AFR heads, edelbrock intake, and other parts to build my 94, but it wasnt optimal without a retune. I got 8 mpg.

@nekkidhillbilly I dont have a pic of it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts