Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheers,

I have a 96 with a slightly leaking open front and a bit o clunking in the rear with LS and 3.55...have 30x10.50 tires...129k miles...E4OD. It will be driven 80-90% on the highway, snow in the winter, and some mild trail use in the Colorado mountains.

I am thinking of having the front/back diff's completely rebuilt with 4.11 gears and Eaton TrueTrac's front/back. A couple of local shops seem to be steering me towards the Detroit Locker or ARB, but I think that is a bit overkill. With the limited trails I will be running and snow/ice here in Colorado, reading other posts seems to favor the TrueTrac.

As I plan on keeping the truck for a while, I don't mind having everything gone through on it. Just wondering if I am overkill or is it the right choice?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
The rear isn't as big a deal as the front as far as which locker. The front I would not get anything other than an ARB. Can't go wrong. If you have a detroit or other auto locker in the front you will be all over the road in the snow and ice when you lock your hubs, whether your TC is engaged or not. It's down right dangerous. Especially out here where we keep our hubs locked for a good part of the winter.
I personally wouldn't get an auto locker in the rear either for the same reason. It's not as bad for the rear but the same holds true. The auto locker will lock up and actually cause you to slip more. The locker is really for slow crawling or getting through real deep snow. Selectable all around is my suggestion.

·
Registered
196 Posts

I put the above truetrac's front and rear in my 96. They don't wear out because they have no wearable parts. They don't bind up.
Those were two huge benefits for me and normal driving.

Clutch based posi's wear out and you can't use a full spool type locker safely on snowy roads so you're pretty much only buying something 'better' for those times when you are truely off roading.
I wanted something that's always 'on' and always usable and doesn't wear out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the truetrac in the front and the back of mine with 35's and it works great. I drive mostly on the highway, but I haven't had any problems with it out on the trail.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
I have a Truetrac in the rear diff in my '90, Its perfect ! Went up to the snow and it works great foreward and reverse, I had no problems with "one wheel spin" at all. Ill be getting one for the front.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Can you feel the True-Trac in the front with the hubs locked driving on the road?

I have a Trac-Lok in the front and it gives a little feedback on pavement with the hubs locked. Nothing bad, but you can tell it's not open.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
The trutrac sounds good. I have lockers in both ends. When I lived in Canada, I kept the wheels locked all winter. I didnt have the problems the others pointed out. But I was so far north that the roads were just snow packed all the time.

My powertrax (in the back) is good on dry road. But I wil say the lockrite in front is teriable on dry road if its in four wheel drive. Its not too bad if its in two wheel with the hubs locked. But, still I cant recomend it.

Selectable lockers are neat, but I dont like the idea of air lines, cables or electrical wires running to the diffs. (another thing to get ripped off) I sappose you could armor them somehow.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the various comments and other things I have read, it appears that having the Eaton TrueTrac in the front / back is a good option.

As I will be having the front hubs unlocked most of the time (except for snow storms and trails), I wouldn't see any issues from the front.

I was initially thinking of only installing the TrueTrac in the back, but if I am going to go through the work of having the front regeared/rebuilt with new bearings and such, it isn't a huge cost. One of the initial costs from a local shop was approx $2100 for new gears in front/back, truetrac front/back, and new bearings/seals in front/back.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,824 Posts
wow that seems rather high in price. I would shop around some more. what are the tru tracs running these days?

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
New gears front and rear, set-up kit front and rear, Truetrac's front and rear.. Do the math on that. If that includes labor that is a DEAL !

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,824 Posts
I got my 4.88's new front carrier, master install kits front/rear and installation for under $800. thats why i asked how much the trutracs are running. for the price he was quoted that would appear those LS are $550 a piece.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Front and rear truetrac's plus the bearing kit's in my pics are going to run you ~$1100 and you'll still need gears.
That price isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am getting another quote from another local vendor. This one advised I don't need to change from 3.55 to 4.11 gears if I am going to stick with 30x10.5 tires. I am wondering now if I should just stick with the truetrac in the rear and just have all bearing/seals replace.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts