Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try running a 170 amp alt. I have a 1987 FSB. My alt has the plug in on the alt instead of a stud with a lug for the positive connection on the alt. How can I upgrade the wiring?

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
If it has the stock "spade" type plug, I don't think it can be upgraded. The pluig it self will be the weak point even IF you could get 2 ga. wire on it. Someone correct me if im wrong.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
I just re-read, The power cable is on a stud ??? like on the back of the alt ?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
There is a special 2G rectifier that has a stud, but the cost outweighs the benefits ($50 retail if I remember).
3G alternator is a better upgrade for the investment!

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
I'll second that. I had JUST put a brand new stock alternator on my Bronco when i joined this site so it was really hard to condone doing the 3g...{ and cause im hard headded } But it really is one of the best if not THE best upgrade you can do !

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
BKO= Bronco in short hand.

Careful when you read on here, people will note having an EB. They usually are trying to say Eddie Baure(sp?) It really means Early Bronco, referring to the models made before 1978.

·
Side step it
1,584 Posts
Yeah, as soon as you can afford to, go with the 3G from Ryan (Fireguy50). I did and have never had a problem since. He even has the 175 amp relay wire going the to the starter relay for safety. I just got one of his hi-torque starters too, good stuff and much lighter! :thumbup -Kevin-

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Don't 2g alts burn and make bonfires with our broncos?

I have a 3G 160 amp from Ryan. One of the best upgrades so far!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts