Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Scored me some good 2 gauge cable and some lugs and am going to upgrade my stock corroded grounds. I am having a slow cranking issue and other electrical gremlins.

Should I just run them the same way as stock ? or are there better areas?

the stock frame ground seems like a good place, but is there a better place to ground the block other than the stock location, like closer to the starter or anything like that?

any tips would be great. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
30,970 Posts
yo

Some add a ground from starter to engine block
&
Relay Ground Wire Addition & Location Video in an 86
Source: by JKossarides ("The Bronco", Jean) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/782810

and maybe add a new junction close to batty as SEATTLE did?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, I think I am going to try to find some other way to ground the block, that stock location is damn near impossible to get to on my 5.0. would a ground to one of the starter bolts suffice for an engine ground ?

any other suggestions?

and thanks for the responses, I am definately adding that relay ground.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would one of the mounting bolts for the starter be a good place to ground it?
IDK, I am definately putting one there, but dont know how I am going to get that stock one out, that stud is burried.

·
Super Moderator
30,970 Posts
would a ground to one of the starter bolts suffice for an engine ground ?
QUOTE]

yo, Yes, many have done that, especially due to that humengeous draw; perhaps over-kill, but if another path if existing ground strap (some are braided or a SQ. steel tube that is crimped at both ends) rusts or loosens

pic by SeattleFSB

For many years there are smaller wires (gauge) that should be inspected at rad (heat & moisture could mf it up),

pic by SeattleFSB

and fender liner @ battery/headlight connector (batty acids could mf'er it up)
pic by SeattleFSB

Those in kick panels should be checked too, esp if there are water leaks or a heater core leak

G100 @ LH front of engine compartment on upper radiator support-in front of WS washer/Coolant overflow tank; G101 front of fender apron-between starter relay & headlight; G200 behind RH kick panel; G103 (battery to engine) Lower RH front of engine; Same as Bronco in a 95 F Series; Location in Engine Bay pics
Source: by subford (Bill K) at http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g91/subford/Electrical/Grounds/?start=all

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
great. thanks for the responses and help.

I think what I am going to do is leave my stock ground where it goes to the block. I am just going to cut the battery side of that ground by that flag terminal, then add my new ground to the frame and starter bolt, so that should leave me with 2 engine grounds, the old one and my new one.

I have plenty of wire, I may even add one at the alt. bracket. Steve83 showed me a link in another post that if you dont have a good ground there you wont get the full effect of a 3g.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.