Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The upper ignition acuator on my 87 Ford Bronco broke. I have the steering column strip down to the acuator. It is an automatic transmission. The only part left the is shifter housing on the column.

The problems: the acuator will not come all the way because because the inner frame is in the way. It appears the only way to remove the inner frame is to remove what appears to be two pins on the left and right side. The pins are threaded on the inside of the pin. They are also the pivot point on the title column. It also appears I would have to remove the snap ring on the column its' self.

Do I have hav eto remove the pins and snap? Is there an easier way to remove the old acuator?

How are the pins removed?

I need help!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Those pins are a press in fit and can be pulled out with a small bolt or machine screw threaded into them partially and pulled out with a pair of sidecutters or a pair of pliers/channel-locks. The pins can just be tapped in when reassembling. Be careful of the springs under the inner frame when you pull the pins. Good luck!:rockon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help bluebronco427. The pins came out real quick. I got the actuator replaced and the all the innerds back together. Unfortunately I rubbed my alignment mark off the steering shaft. I believe I am close. Now if can just figure out with those two extra crewd came from:)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not sure if it's mentioned in the article or not, but when I did mine in my 90, I cut off the new actuator rod just past where it enters the square part in the steering column (probably have to see a pic to know what I'm talking about), so it still was supported but shorter. This allowed me to put the new one in without taking the rest of the column apart (as long as you get all the old pieces out). The other positive is that I think that it eliminated any load on the rod itself, as that is the part that locks the shift lever into place -- and I think parking on hills, etc. is what kills those with the load placed on them from shifting out of park while stressed. So, no more load on the rod. Only downside is that you can now shift out of park without the key in the ignition. Neutral safety switch does still work and will not let the truck start unless in park or neutral.

I can explain better if this doesn't make sense or someone wants more info.

Adam

·
Banned
11,499 Posts
No, parking on a hill only puts a load on the park pawl in the transmission. Turning the engine off while holding pressure on the steering wheel puts a load on the wheel lock pin, which is NOT part of the ignition actuators.

·
Registered
255 Posts
No, parking on a hill only puts a load on the park pawl in the transmission. Turning the engine off while holding pressure on the steering wheel puts a load on the wheel lock pin, which is NOT part of the ignition actuators.
Thanks Steve -- suppose that makes sense.

At the very least I saved myself some extra work, and since that's the end where they seem to break, no more rod there to break! :thumbup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts