Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need one of these but can't find a part number. I'm guessing it mounts on one of the exhaust mani bolts and then up to the intake? Dealer item only? I'm too old and lazy to be running around to junk yards anymore.........

Here's a pic of the upper mani. There's a threaded hole near the bottom of the casting (the one just above the plywood in this pic). Is that where one end bolts to?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
You've got the bolt location correct. As for that support piece, it's just a length of steel tubing with its ends flattened, and slots punched into those ends. Nothing special. You could make it yourself with a hammer & drill. I'm sure someone on here has one left over from an intake manifold upgrade. I haven't a clue where mine went. Forget the stealership, though. They can barely get service parts for these trucks anymore, let alone parts like this.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Sig. This is something I started to think about last week when I was reading about all the vacuum leaks people seem to have. Then I realized that this intake is not only heavy, but cantilevered as well way over towards the p-side. I figure it can't be too good for the mounting baseflange and the 6 bolts holding it down while bouncing around and with all the vibration an engine generates.

Preventative medicine----I hope..........

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
I need one of these but can't find a part number. I'm guessing it mounts on one of the exhaust mani bolts and then up to the intake? Dealer item only? I'm too old and lazy to be running around to junk yards anymore.........

Here's a pic of the upper mani. There's a threaded hole near the bottom of the casting (the one just above the plywood in this pic). Is that where one end bolts to?

Didn't know anything went there?:banghead

Use some 3/16 flat bar.
Time to go to Lowes! Or wait, I have a piece of alum. flat would that work?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
I'd use steel. Aluminum likes to creep under heat, and you're attaching it to an exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mine also had a ground strap attached to the bolt that holds the support to the intake.

I haven't put the support back on since I did my headers, but it's on my list.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didn't know anything went there?:banghead

Time to go to Lowes! Or wait, I have a piece of alum. flat would that work?
Did I say that? Or are you just doing a voice-over?

Btw, you can use the aluminum---I'll use something with some testicles on it............

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Rats? Little boys? :rofl:

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
I know, right? Somehow, a bunch of Old Milwaukee cans got together and decided to become my intake manifold! Weird.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
:histerica Good Lord this thread took a wrong turn!

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
..................uhm, ok.

Why even worry about that bracket. I haven't had mine hooked up since I installed my headers going on 4 years now.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
..................uhm, ok.

Why even worry about that bracket. I haven't had mine hooked up since I installed my headers going on 4 years now.

Like I mentioned earlier, it seems like that since it is both heavy and cantilevered it would put a lot of additional stress on the mounting flange, thereby increasing the chances of something breaking/cracking there. Or at the least having a chance to break the gasket seals and inviting a pita vacuum leak.

Make sense?.........

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
:stupid

The constant heat cycling, vibration, imbalance, etc. puts enormous strain on those tiny 5/16-inch bolts screwed into the aluminum flange below the plenum. Your engine may be just fine for a good long while, but your threads in the lower manifold may not agree. Pulling bolts out of fatigued threads is NOT fun. Most of the time, you end up having to Heli-Coil them. On one of my Mustangs, I Heli-Coiled EVERY bolt hole in the lower manifold after just ONE stripped out, for that reason. Remember, aluminum CREEPS.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:stupid

The constant heat cycling, vibration, imbalance, etc. puts enormous strain on those tiny 5/16-inch bolts screwed into the aluminum flange below the plenum. Your engine may be just fine for a good long while, but your threads in the lower manifold may not agree. Pulling bolts out of fatigued threads is NOT fun. Most of the time, you end up having to Heli-Coil them. On one of my Mustangs, I Heli-Coiled EVERY bolt hole in the lower manifold after just ONE stripped out, for that reason. Remember, aluminum CREEPS.

"Thank you, thank you very much. You've been a great crowd. I'll be here all week"............

Anyways, that's exactly my train of thought as well. I'm gonna fab one up this weekend so I don't have to do what you had to on your Musty. I'd rather spend an hour having fun and drinking a beer than have to spend 5 hours cursing at the moon and taking Vicodin..............:smokin:

(Btw, old beer cans---->new manifolds----->recycling----->good for the planet. Hence the glamour shot of Mrs. Gore.

But see what I mean? It's no longer funny. Oh well.)

·
Premium Member
9,995 Posts
RickyB:

The piece you're talking is for support maybe to reduce stress on the plenum bolts....almost cosmetic and it fits behind smog tube bracket bolt tab against the exhaust header on the stud around #2 plug.
There are 2 nuts, one on the outside smog tube tab and the other inside on the exhaust header stud...........................
There may be a picture of it in one of the videos of my engine swap www.supermotors.net/17406 or I can take one today and post it if need.

If you have an old metal lawn chair you don't care about cut it up and make the piece by flattening each end with a drilled hole, paint it black and you're good to go.

Once you bolt it to the plunum there's only one place it will line up to as I mentioned but any metal piece would do.

Good Luck Brother ~ :thumbup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts