Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Upright/Drag Header Install

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  newageroman 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to get rid of the existing headers on my '78 with a 400 and replace with upright/drag headers through the hood. I'm wondering before I order the parts, is it a straight swap or will I run into issues with the new headers hitting other components? The ones I'm looking at have a forward offset which I hope will get away from my steering box. There is a non-offset option from DEC also. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks man! The inside looks like the outside-muddy. haha. She Isn’t pretty but she goes like a bastard.
that’s the exhaust hanging down there, it fell off during the last mudbog.
I think I’ll just order the headers and jam them in, if I have to modify anything I’ll burn that bridge later.
although if anyone has any ideas I’m still open to them.

Reactions: cobrajoe
#4 ·
The forward offset ones likely be best. The booster and master are right near there on these trucks. Mine has a 460 in it and I think this would get closer then the steering shaft, not sure as have not done a set of these myself.
From what I have seen you do want collector style ones, not just 4 tubes per side, the dragster sytle ones seem like they loose too much torque in the mud on all but the more radical stuff.

Reactions: cobrajoe
#5 · (Edited)
These are the ones from DEC that I’m looking at. I finally got her into the shop last night so I can start figuring things out for the spring!! She had a bit of a fire under the hood last year

#6 ·
The pic uploaded twice for some reason....I’m not good at the internets

#9 ·
I like your Bronco. I hope you did not get hurt buy the fire. Mine did to in October and got both hands burnt. Still recuperating,but I saved my 78 and myself luckily. If you have a Motorcraft 2 barrel. Check where the carb form was modeled at.Where the gas line screws into the carb,RIGHT ABOVE IT. Sometimes it will leak and some times it will not. I,m going to a Holley. They don,t have the form and is made of some different kind of metal and its about twice the weight of a Motorcraft. .GOOD LUCK AND GET YOU A BIG FIREXTINGUISHER HANDY. The gas will build up on the intake and can cause a fire as you travel down the road. I was getting ready to take mine for a test drive and it backed fired once. I did have a breather on it to. Also the BIG AIR BREATHER --STOPPED ME FROM GETTING UNDER THE CARB TO FIGHT THE FIRE. nOW HEARS YOU CAN LAUGH. I was taking off cloth to smother the fire and finally when I got done. All I had on was one sock and my under shorts. hahahhahahahahahaha Good luck and be careful

#8 ·
I haven’t heard of any. I’ll look into it but I imagine that I’ll end up just ordering the ones from the above post.
move been looking at it and I think I may have to move the washer fluid tank but that’s it. Which isn't the end of the world because I’m going to install a deluge pipe over the windshield anyway

#10 ·
Jesus, that’s sounds crappy. Sorry you got burned. Mine wasn’t near that bad. I have a Edelbrock 1826, the supply hose sprung a leak and did the same thing in a way. Luckily it was just idling and I was close to my boat that had an extinguisher in it. A bit of melted wiring and some carb damage. Cleaned it up and seems ok now. Going to a holley also, my mechanic friend says they are much better but I guess we’ll see

#11 ·
Said F#$k it and bought the ones from the USA. Turns out that there was $0 duty so the whole shittery cost just over $500CAD shipped. Fairly reasonably priced if you ask me. I haven‘t received them yet but I only ordered them last week so I can’t attest to the quality yet but let me tell you DEC is great to deal with. It’s a 2 man operation in Ohio, when I called them up the old boy answered and was wicked helpful. He asked questions that hadn’t crossed my mind to ensure I got what I’m ultimately after. I’ll post again when i get them. Also I just snorkelled the air intake into the cab of the truck so she will swim now.
Vehicle Car Engine Auto part Automotive exterior

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.