Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I need help on what a part of my fuel system is. I search the name this part thread but no help.

As some of you know a few months ago I paid a lot of bucks to fix issues with the fuel system. Well yesterday I got the fuel leak from hell.

Had it towed to the mechanic. Leak is coming from a "canister" connected to the fuel line, near the back of the engine. It has a line in and a line out. He got the "canister" out and opened up. Looks to be a small reservoir with a paper filter in it. Well this is leaking.

Looks o be factory based on the fittings. No part number to be seen.

Parts houses can't figure out what it could be. Ford says no such thing like that on an 88, etc. Call Bronco Grave yard. They could not figure out what it could be.

Sorry no pic. I can't get to shop to take one, and my mechanic has no way to take and email me ( low tech kind of guy).

So anyone know what this dang thing could be? How to replace, fix, or bypass? Mechanic says it would be a pain in the "A" to bypass.

Sorry for not giving better info but this is based on what I have been told.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,438 Posts
Your talking about this thing:

If so I was told by a Ford mechanic that really Ford only put that there to store fuel because the pump in the tank sometime could not get fuel to the inline pump in time if the truck was going up hill, etc.. I don't know if this is true but guy seemed to know what he was saying.

He told me it is not really needed. I kept mine though. It was hard for me to find anywhere new so I kept the stock one when I replaced my fuel system.

·
15,438 Posts
Here is another picture:

Used on '88-89 Broncos & F-series/E-series/Rangers/others with single tank dual-pump EFI. In this version, the only moving part is the tank-side inlet check valve. The return ports flow freely and are NOT connected to the reservoir. The engine-side supply port is open to the reservoir.

To test it, unplug the frame fuel pump, disconnect the engine-side supply (large) line, and cycle the key. If fuel flows out of the reservoir nipple, the reservoir is working normally. If not, disconnect the tank-side supply (large) line, and cycle the key. If fuel flows out of the line, the reservoir check valve is probably stuck, or its internal filter is clogged.

A reservoir marked "DO NOT REMOVE CUP" does not contain a filter. For a replacement O-ring for the cup, buy a NAPA 3268, Fram CG3862, or equivalent filter.

To permanently eliminate the reservoir, use these Dorman fuel tubes. http://dormanproducts.com/p-12461-800-159.aspx

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yea mine has one of those, mine got broke to shit when I got in an accident. I happened to find one at the junkyard getting other parts :thumbup

·
User Registered
1,279 Posts
I would cut the fuel lines and merge them together and bypass that hunk of shit. Unless I lived out west and experienced vapor lock.

Edit. Saltlife can u hook a fuel filter inline. Insread of cutting the lines?

·
Registered
45 Posts
mine also had a leak, went through a bunch of diesel filters at oreillys till i found one with an oring that would work and it's been leak free for 2 years now

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK truck is back to being happy. The leak was at the O ring so the fix was the right sized O ring. Also some how the thing had come loss and was at a angle, this most likely contributed to the leak.

Also you may remember I had a strange gas starvation issue. Well I left it with the mechanic for two weeks and always ran fine for him.

I get it back and within a week or so, I get this... But most likely the thing coming loose was what created the fuel starvation issue....

We will see when I get back to driving it.

·
15,438 Posts
I would cut the fuel lines and merge them together and bypass that hunk of shit. Unless I lived out west and experienced vapor lock.

Edit. Saltlife can u hook a fuel filter inline. Insread of cutting the lines?
I don't know how much a filter would restrict the flow that far back. But I don't see why it would not work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts