Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

URGENT: NY bill to ban Grill Guards/Brush Guards

4K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  Conman 
#1 ·
Regardless of if you have a grill guard or brush guard on your vehicle you need to get involved with this. Who knows what they will try to ban next. Probably lifts, oversized tires, and step bars.

This is directly from the SEMA website:

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT
New York Introduces Bill to Ban the Use of Grille/Brush Guards

A bill (A.B. 10116) has been introduced in the New York Legislature to prohibit the public road use of motor vehicles equipped with a grille or brush guard. The bill has been referred to the Assembly Transportation Committee for consideration and a vote.

We Urge You to Contact Members of the New York Assembly Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to A.B. 10116.

* A.B. 10116 relies on unsubstantiated claims that these grille guards create the potential of greater harm to other vehicles in the event of a collision.

* A.B. 10116 relies on unsubstantiated claims that grille guards obstruct airbag sensors, rendering the airbags useless in an accident.

* A.B. 10116 would require owners of vehicles currently equipped with grille guards (including those purchased with this equipment from a dealership) to remove these guards.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the New York Assembly Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to request their opposition to this bill.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to stevem @ sema.org. Thank you for your assistance.

New York Assembly Transportation Committee

David F. Gantt, Chair
518-455-5606

Marc Alessi
alessim @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5294

Darrel J. Aubertine
aubertd @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5545

Jim Bacalles
bacallj @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5791

Pat Casale
casalep @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5777

Michael Cusick
518-455-5526

Ruben Diaz, Jr.
diazr @ assembly.state.ny.us

Francine DelMonte
delmonf @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5284

Sam Hoyt
hoyts @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-4886

Ivan C. Lafayette
lafayei @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-4545

George S. Latimer
latimeg @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-4897

John W. Lavelle
lavellj @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-4677

Charles D. Lavine
lavinec @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5456

Donna Lupardo
lupardd @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5431

Pat Manning
manninp @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5177

David G. McDonough
McDonoD @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-4633

Brian M. McLaughlin
mclaugb @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5172

Jimmy Meng
mengj @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5411

Joan L. Millman
millmaj @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5426

Matthew Mirones
mironem @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5716

Chris Ortloff
ortlofc @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5943

N. Nick Perry
perryn @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-4166

Paul D. Tonko
tonkop @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5197

Harvey Weisenberg
weisenh @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-3028

For the link to actual article follow this:

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62090

Please note that I had to put spaces in the email addresses so that they would show. Post up your thoughts and what you did.

See less See more
#3 ·
And yet, another reason for me to never step foot in NY. I'm still waiting for those states "up there" to require D.O.T. approved helmets to drive or ride in all vehicles.

#8 ·
dsotmoon said:
whats next, the bumper? crazy stuff, i wonder what the resoning is behind the bill, i'd like to hear that
I would think its because of someone {Political} got hit by a truck having a Grille Guard and decided to ban them.....

I am waiting to see when they decide to ban 18 Wheeelers and small cars being on the same road.....:twak :twak :twak :twak :twak

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Allcruisen :imp :usa

#14 ·
and how maney of us ( i know, newer trucks have brush guards, i work at the ford dealer) even HAV air bags? my 87 dosent, and that has a grill guard, my 82 Chevy has one too, airbags? no, my 78 Chevy too, no air bags, hell most of my trucks dont even have A/C, let alone an airbag

#15 ·
I still think its something like watt I mentioned above......

I dont know how it is up in NY, anymore but down here in S FL, its pretty much like this:

Before you get a traffic light up at a buzy intersection you would have to have certain amount of accidents, before D.O.T. would even get involved....

Unfortunately, by the time they install that traffic light, someone has lost a life or a loved one at that intersection.....:twak

I know just recently, it took a bunch of parents protesting in front of a school in order to get D.O.T. or the School Board to install a crosswalk for the kids after one or two of them were Hit by speeding drivers....

Who knows why they come up with these stupid laws.....

Well thats my rant for today....:drinkbud

Allcruisen :imp :usa

#16 ·
i'm originally from upstate NY, where there is some phenomonal wheeling grounds. NY was one of the first states to ban smoking in public places, and driving while on the cell phone. what else can we expect from the state that allowed another clinton to hold an office? If the concern is from excessive damage to other vehicles during a collision, what about snowplows? I know that modern plow mounts come off during the summer, but what about winter, when pretty much every damn 4x4 has a plow on? or the older plow frames that remain on all year? personally, i'd rather get hit by a truck with grill guard (aka extra crumple zone) than a 2000 lb plow!

Pete

#17 ·
yeah, i didnt even think about plows, and not just the 20 Ton D.O.T. plows, the ones on pickups, Broncos and Blazers are going to cause a hell of a lot more damage than a friggen brush guard. especly since odds are there a big 6I, or large Cube V8 under the hood forcing that thing down the road at a good clip. a friend of mine hit a deer whit his F250 when he had the plow on and there was just a red smear left. he hosed the remains off back at the shop.

#20 ·
Okay, I worked in a autobody shop for a few years and hear is what I learned about airbags and brushguards. Most cars have a min of 3 sensors in the front. 2 out of 3 must be activated to deploy the airbags. I have seen vehicles get wrecked in the front real bad and no airbag went off. People would complain about it and say they were faulty. They were not, the sensors just werent activated (and most should be thankful cause if the airbags had deployed, the ins. comp would have totaled the cars instead of fixing them) Like mentioned above, a snow plow set up is worse than a brush guard. Its made from heavier tubing, ment to really push crap(snow) around with. This is just another example of the blind leading the blind in politics. But if I remember right, there is no helmet law in NY for riding a motorcycle? And they are worried about a brush guard. My guess is one of their yuppie friends hummers/porshe got taken out by a truck/bronco with a brush guard and now they are trying to make them "dangerous" to the public.

Look at my sig and you'll know what I think of government.

#22 ·
jerelight said:
Okay, I worked in a autobody shop for a few years and hear is what I learned about airbags and brushguards. Most cars have a min of 3 sensors in the front. 2 out of 3 must be activated to deploy the airbags. I have seen vehicles get wrecked in the front real bad and no airbag went off. People would complain about it and say they were faulty. They were not, the sensors just werent activated (and most should be thankful cause if the airbags had deployed, the ins. comp would have totaled the cars instead of fixing them) Like mentioned above, a snow plow set up is worse than a brush guard. Its made from heavier tubing, ment to really push crap(snow) around with. This is just another example of the blind leading the blind in politics. But if I remember right, there is no helmet law in NY for riding a motorcycle? And they are worried about a brush guard. My guess is one of their yuppie friends hummers/porshe got taken out by a truck/bronco with a brush guard and now they are trying to make them "dangerous" to the public.

Look at my sig and you'll know what I think of government.

there is a helmet law in new york :twak

#23 ·
Forget trying to contact the individual lawmakers, First forward that information to SEMA, then go to all the websites of the companies that make Grill guards, like Westin, Manik, Smittybuilt etc, and let their high power attornies handle it.

:thumbup

#24 ·
dsotmoon said:
isnt it the force of impact that sets them off and not a direct hit to something? wouldnt that impact be the same either way? just asking, done really know
The purpose of the crumple zone is to absorb a great portion of the impact so the passengers don't get the full impact. In essence, the front bumper and crumple zones decelerate faster than the passengers bodies. If the sensors are at the front of the crumple zone and the crumple zone is protected the grille guard, the sensor would sense a milder impact. The air bags would require a larger impact to deploy and would deploy later in the accident. On top of this, the grille guard would transfer more force to the frame, if it is frame mounted, which would increase the impact on the passegers because the crumple zone is being protected.
Disclaimer: I read something like this on the internet. I am not sure of the validity but that is the way I understand it. I cannot quote the source.

#25 ·
most grill guards are just cheap pieces of aluminum. frame and bumper mounted ones. I had a bumper mounted one for awhile. hell those things bend with the slightest hit....ask Ian (Stangmata) i dont remember what he hit, but it bent it up. you hit a vehicle that grill guard will crumple just like the stock bumper. infact they do more damage to your vehicle then protect it..its just for brush and stuff.

wonder what they would say about my winch bumper with build in grill guard...make me cut off the grill guard portion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.