Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on converting my vinyl collection to MP3, and bought a ION TTUSB turntable to try doing this with. After months of waiting for the factory EZ Convert software and Itunes to update to run on Windows7/64bit, I finally got it working.
So my questions are:
Has anyone here done this?
Any advice for the best quality of recordings?
I would just go out and buy the CD's/MP3's but they don't exist and I don't do the "Napster" type internet sites.
Thanks in advance.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
I've recorded a few LP's to cd (and mp3 etc) i just used the tape out from the amp/receiver to do the job, running it to the aux in on my PC. I used software called "Audiograbber" which was nice, as it separates the tracks automatically (Based on the silence between cuts) The sound quality came out good (better than the CD "re-masters" of the same albums in some cases), but you have to keep a few things in mind:

first, it's better to record under-level than over level. you don't want clipping. since you're old LP's were recorded without a bunch of dynamic range compression (like newer recordings) if you try to turn up you're record level a lot, the "peaks" will be over-level and have distortion. record softly, don't be afraid to turn up the volume when you play the CD/MP3 recording back, it'll give the best quality that way.

also, on the MP3 side of things, i'd recommend 192k or higher at 44.1khz/16bit stereo (same as a cd)
do NOT use normalization, or other dynamic range compression, unless you want to throw away the dynamic range of the original recording for the benefit of it appearing "louder" without turning up the volume... i could rant on about the over use of dynamic range compression forever, but ill leave it at that for now.

i have not tried the USB type turntables, but i'd imagine it's basically just a record player with a USB sound card built in, so the same rules should apply to achieving a good recording. of course just re-record the same track over a few times, with different settings and see which sounds best.. most important thing is not to have the gain (record level) up too high

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info. I got the gain set all the way down on the software and the turntable and it sounds a lot better than the first run. This software doesn't have selections for the data settings that I've found, so I don't know what they are yet.

I should never have gotten rid of the turntable I bought in Europe, but it got damaged when my kids were baby monsters (I love em) and I sold it. The cartridge and stylus for the B&O were 4 times what I paid for this USB turntable so my expectations aren't really high. After many years of construction, concerts, and shooting my hearing isn't as good either, so maybe it's a wash.

Thanks again.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
I bought that same turntable and had pretty good luck with it. It's not real bad but my Pioneer PL-516 was the one that stayed despite it's age

1 - 4 of 4 Posts