Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I no longer have a rear window in my truck and have in the past had an in cab which controller. Previously I had wired it to its' own switch Wiring for the in cab winch remote.. My son asked why I did not use the tree way switch that was there...good question is there a reason that this will not work?

I did test my switch and compared with Steve83s test page. I think maybe I have a broken switch as I have no continuity between any posts ever?

·
Registered
695 Posts
The bad switch would be the first reason “to not to” , kidding aside do you run it through a solenoid from the switch or straight to the winch. Should be fine with a solenoid in use.

·
Registered
695 Posts
No reason why it wouldn’t work.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree with Kabong. I see the attraction as it already there but I feel you would be better served by looking for a remote switch activated by a thumb button on a coiled remote switch. If you're wheeling hard, standing up in the seat, one hand on the wheel, leaning out the left window, can you reach that switch? Glad your son is thinking in that direction. Not to dissuade, just saying.... I'm no electrician but I'm not sure that old switch would stand the load.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I agree with Kabong. I see the attraction as it already there but I feel you would be better served by looking for a remote switch activated by a thumb button on a coiled remote switch. If you're wheeling hard, standing up in the seat, one hand on the wheel, leaning out the left window, can you reach that switch? Glad your son is thinking in that direction. Not to dissuade, just saying.... I'm no electrician but I'm not sure that old switch would stand the load.
Load would never be an issue with solenoids in use as they require very little juice to activate the strong contacts (think starter solenoid) but I agree that you only want (+) going through and the solenoid only requires hot, the winch is grounded.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,059 Posts
Knowing how fragile the plastic is on the old switches, and dash, that would be my reason not to use it.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts