Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy that gave me a free NP 203 (I know nothing amazing, just explaining how I know him) emailed me to tell me he has a 9 inch with a detroit locker in it. He said the gears are shot but otherwise it's good. He's asking $200.

Basically I'm looking for verification that that is a good price. I'm guessing it is and that I could recoup that cost after a swap (I want to put a D60/Sterling/D70 in sooner or later) by selling my 9 inch with the detroit for $200+. Sound likely or am I way off? :shrug

He's also setting me up with a NP205 for $100 so I have the t-cases I need to build a doubler... once I save up for the adapter. :banghead

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
If the gears are shot, I'd have to wonder how it happened and what else may be fawked up...

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I would pull the detroit to check it out first. If its good then its a good price for even a used detroit locker!! If I had to guess the gears are no good because when the Detroit was put in they didnt set the gears right or maybe a bearing went out.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Off subject but this thread brings up a question I have. Is it true that to change gear ratios in a 9" you have to change the carrier but not in an 8.8?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Way to much. I'm with blaze here if the gears are bad i would be willing to bet that there is something else broken there too.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
around here you can get a 9" for 80$ at a JY
With a detroit? I have a 9 inch already, I'm basically buying it for the locker particularly since the gears are "shot". Still haven't heard back from him on what he means by that or what happened.

Way to much. I'm with blaze here if the gears are bad i would be willing to bet that there is something else broken there too.
Again though, would it be the Detroit? I thought they were suppose to be practically indestructible. I'd say I'd take a look at the detroit but I really don't even know what I'd be looking for. He did say the Detroit is "pretty new" so it wouldn't surprise me if he set the gears up poorly and destroyed them.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what the guy said happened to the gears.

"Somebody with a lead foot and too much horsepower. pulled the pinion from the ringgear"

Now that has me worried cause it seems like you'd need an absurd amount of torque to do that... I guess he did have it behind a 460 though. Maybe I'll see if I can get it for $100 or so. Either that or get a better look at the detroit and see if it looks damaged at all.

·
BurnedB's competition.
2,038 Posts
Not true. I removed the pinion from the housing on my 9" with a 302, 3.55 gears, and second gear in a T18. I have pictures somewhere but I'm not going looking for them on dialup.

I did, however, **** up everything from the pinion gear to the ring gear to the side bearings and Pinion Yoke.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88003

Enjoy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts