Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son-in-law bought an '85 Bronco with a 302efi. Has 190000 miles and everything is in great shape except the engine. Runs but has no compression on one cylinder and very little power. He has a connection to a wrecking yard with a 302 for $495. He is a good wrench but I'm not. I wonder if we should chance an older engine with all the stuff on it, buy a rebuilt long block or try to rebuild his engine. We don't have a lot of extra time and I have offered to help him out with the work and cost. Any input or sources for engines would be helpful. Also how long would a swap take us? Thanks.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
You should be able to get a reman for about $1,000. I know it's twice as much but it's also brand new with a warranty. JY engines just can't be trusted. Yeah you might get lucky with a JY engine but if you can afford it a rebuilt or reman would be a more reliable option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and that is what I am thinking. Why do all that work and take the chance of it dumping again.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Assuming that you go through ahead of time and use penetrating oil on every bolt you're going to turn, and that you have a good manual and the proper tools (engine stand, hoist, and leveler especially), an engine swap for one experienced shade-tree wrench and one helper who can *listen* could be done in either one very long Saturday or one reasonable weekend, in my opinion, assuming no bolts so badly broken that you have to Helicoil something.

Seriously, your biggest problem will be getting stuck bolts loose and broken bolts out, especially in the exhaust. Pre-soaking them for a week in PB'laster or Kroil or something will go a long way towards making it all easier.

Also, label *EVERYTHING* before you unhook/disconnect/unbolt it. Digital cameras and camcorders are nice, too, to go over everything beforehand, so that you have a reference, but it's hard to beat a couple rolls of masking tape and a Sharpie.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
RLKBOB said:
You should be able to get a reman for about $1,000. I know it's twice as much but it's also brand new with a warranty. JY engines just can't be trusted. Yeah you might get lucky with a JY engine but if you can afford it a rebuilt or reman would be a more reliable option.
:stupid

I agree. You never know what you're gonna get from a junkyard.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
i got a reman from precision engines out of houston they were super helpful and it was only 1300 total. just a thought

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
sewiv said:
Assuming that you go through ahead of time and use penetrating oil on every bolt you're going to turn, and that you have a good manual and the proper tools (engine stand, hoist, and leveler especially), an engine swap for one experienced shade-tree wrench and one helper who can *listen* could be done in either one very long Saturday or one reasonable weekend, in my opinion, assuming no bolts so badly broken that you have to Helicoil something.

Seriously, your biggest problem will be getting stuck bolts loose and broken bolts out, especially in the exhaust. Pre-soaking them for a week in PB'laster or Kroil or something will go a long way towards making it all easier.

Also, label *EVERYTHING* before you unhook/disconnect/unbolt it. Digital cameras and camcorders are nice, too, to go over everything beforehand, so that you have a reference, but it's hard to beat a couple rolls of masking tape and a Sharpie.
it took me three days to do mine and that was two mechanincs doing it with all the tools i could possibly need ever. it took us 3 8 hour days. total.

ken

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
juGGernaut said:
any one ever gotten a reman 460? what was the cost? and was it complete?

look around online. you usually get the long block.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Dont do a JY engine, just like the others said... You can get one as a core if your planing on doing the rebuild yourself in your own garage, that would be fine, as long as the block is not cracked.

If your not going to do a full tear down, inspection and rebuild kit, dont even think of a JY engine because it would more than likely end up being waste of money.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I got mine out of detroit mi.:chili: I had them bore it 60 over and then they put it all together..:rockon WHAT EVER U DO DON"T BUY ONE FROM AUTOZONE OR ADVANCED they are junk..:box0715:

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Graydevil said:
WHAT EVER U DO DON"T BUY ONE FROM AUTOZONE OR ADVANCED they are junk..:box0715:
Ive had 2 Advance engines, and not a problem out of either.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
it took me three days to do mine and that was two mechanincs doing it with all the tools i could possibly need ever. it took us 3 8 hour days. total.

ken
What took the longest part of that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice. I am buying a reman engine and will soak all the bolts and mark everything. The kid had a racecar he built so I hope he knows how to do this. I also hope it doesn't take a week to do it but we gonna find out.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
sewiv said:
What took the longest part of that?

baggin and labeling all the parts that i took off. i was really meticulous as to not have anything left over. pulling it and putting it in wasnt hard at all, that was a total of about 3 hours combined. making sure everything was in the right place and to the right torque specs is what took the longest.

ken

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Most of my experience with actual engine swaps has been with older stuff (60's), and demo derby cars. Swapping a demo derby car engine takes about 2 hours, maybe (no exhaust, no smog, no computer, just the throttle, radiator hoses, kickdown lever, starter, and battery, and the hood comes right off). I've participated in a swap in a `90s Ranger, and that took a couple of days, not counting the broken water pump bolts, and much of that was "Where does this go?" (I wasn't involved in the initial removal, and nothing got labeled.)

I guess I'd rather take the time to label and tag, than get it wrong.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I've done 4 engine changes over the years and and have always taken the front clip off. Sounds bad but isn't, and it really lets you get to everything easy. Take lots of pictures.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts