Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for uses for my exterior tire carrier, I moved my sapre inside. I installed an OEM interior tire carrier so I can have two (spare tires) on long trips. But for the time being I would like to have something other than my bare tire carrier out back. Has anyone seen a jerry can carrier that would bolt up to the stock bolt holes? Don't need a CB antenna. A highlift is a possibility, I am looking for ideas or examples of what has been done before. TIA

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
That is a pretty good idea. Where did you get the inside tire carrier? Did they come on some broncos in some years? Can you fit a 33" tire inside? A 33 is kinda pushing it for that external tire carrier. I would rather have mine inside too.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,067 Posts
My 90 came stock with the internal carrier. It was an option on many years, if not all. It holds a 33 just fine in the 90. I'd guess that it'd be the same in H1's 91, but might be different in Southwestern's 95, since the revisions in 92 brought changes to the rear seat/roof area related to adding shoulder belts. It might be fine, it's just worth checking to see if the 33 will fit between the tailgate & rear seat ahead of time.

I added the external carrier, then decided to keep the inside one too. It gives me something to lash to, & makes it easy to carry 2 spares on the trail. Be aware that the internal carrier is designed to mount the tire at slight angle so the top of the tire leans toward the passenger side. If you leave the spare straight up it comes loose too easily.

Here's the only pic I have of the carrier:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a pretty good idea. Where did you get the inside tire carrier? Did they come on some broncos in some years? Can you fit a 33" tire inside? A 33 is kinda pushing it for that external tire carrier. I would rather have mine inside too.

I picked up a parts bronco with the same color interior so I have been taking the best of each bronco and putting it on the one I am fixing up. My interior carrier is the same one pictured above, it's OEM. I keep a stock size spare but I think a 33 would fit. If my rear window motor wasnt broken I would bring down my tailgate and check but bringing that 33 through the back seat is a PITA. The interior tire carrier is bolted down with grade 8 hardware since there are no stock mounting locations. The only tough part was the top two bolts that bolt into the bed rail, I had to dremmel a hole in the bed side panel to gain access to the oposite end of the bolts to secure the top. The two other bolts were easy, just drill a hole and bolt it in. With new hardware its not bad but you would need to people to get those bolts tight otherwise.
At this point I am leaning towards a two can carrier for the rear. I could unbolt the portion that the sapre bolts to (that sticks out about 5 inches), use the standoff from the top right bolt and bolt the jerry can carrier closer in to the tire carrier itself and give it a more clean look.

·
Super Moderator
25,769 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
The early to mid Broncos had the spare inside. My 85 is inside. My buddys 94 was outside, we took a 2 can holder and welded a mount to the back that went on before the sprare. So he had 2 cans and a spare hanging off the back. Kinda like meisk5's pic, only the cans were outside the tire.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
make it custom, high lift and jerry cans. may wanna lock those down though. maybe you could put like a small shovel and axe on it like those old ww2 jeeps had on the side. that *might be cool*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts