Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 FSB. It has the 351w. It isnt EFI it has the carb. I did away with all of the emission stuff. Plugged the thermactors and the egr port on the manifold. The only thing I need vaccum for is the brake booster, auto tranny, and heater controls.The distributor os a mechanical advance.Where do I plumb the vaccum from the intake to? does it go to the booster? Does it go to the carb. How should I plumb this thing for vaccum?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Did you do a search here for it?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did. Every thread that started out as someone wanting do away with the emissions turned into a tree hugging fest and the poor OP was left with no direction to go . So I got all the info I needed at FTE. I am going to do a tech write up here so the next guy doesnt have to put up with the nonsense. They can just get their questions answered and get busy.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I did. Every thread that started out as someone wanting do away with the emissions turned into a tree hugging fest and the poor OP was left with no direction to go . So I got all the info I needed at FTE. I am going to do a tech write up here so the next guy doesnt have to put up with the nonsense. They can just get their questions answered and get busy.
Although I feel a guy can do what he wants to his truck, removing emission stuff is illegal therefore I don't think the mods would allow a tech write up on it.
Don't know for sure, guess you could try

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I know it is illegal in States that require smog certification to drive without smog equipment, but there are States like Kansas, Oregon, and I believe Nevada that do not require smog certificates now. So I am unsure if it would be illegal in those States. They may in the future, but not as of now. I read an article somewhere that CARB will want to have National smogging requirements though, so any tampering with smog equipment now, might require the persons to put all smog equipment back on in the future. I was having problems with my smog stuff, but after unplugging the battery for a few days, the Computer reset itself, and now the Bronco is fine. :thumbup

·
Registered
92 Posts
The OP said nothing about the truck being street legal, much less S. California emission referee legal, and I am willing to bet his truck is 100% legal in Broken Arrow, OK. :)

To answer your question, their should be a Vacuume Tree under/behind your emission port on your intake manifold behind the carb. All vacuume should run off of it.
A) The "trunk" of this tree is a large 1/4"??? line that runs to the brake booster. The "limbs" of the tree will run to
B) heater controls on the passenger wheel well
C) A third line will run to a three pronged vacuume splitter on the fire wall above the passenger side valve cover (up high--close to where the hood closes) This is where the Trans vacuume line gets it's vac.
D) All other limbs on the Vac tree can be plugged or you can run directly off them should you choose.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool 82 BKO. That was what I was told on another site. There are no smog certifications or even inspections on vehicles here anymore. I doubt we will be going back anytime soon to the emission stuff.

Although I feel a guy can do what he wants to his truck, removing emission stuff is illegal therefore I don't think the mods would allow a tech write up on it.
Don't know for sure, guess you could try
This is all I could find with a search on this forum. There are plenty of threads here with nothing but this type of response. I read one where a guy was just beat over the head with it and he ended up trying to cobble all of the emission crap back together. I felt for the guy. I dont know who would want that mess of crap under the hood to battle with everytime you go to work on it unless it was required. I dont plan on even running cats on mine.

1987 Bronco 351W about two weeks away from leaving a carbon footprint the size of sasquatch.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you live in the USofA it is illegal to remove, deactivate, tamper with or even remove or tamper with anything that would have an effect on emissions equipment, etc. etc. and so forth. Off road, on road in your backyard doesn't matter. So get over it and/or write your congressperson. Will anything happen to YOU for it, most likely not, but you never know.

On the '86, I ran P.C.V. to back of Carb, but you didn't mention the P.C.V., so you can run the Brake Booster to back of Carb. I installed a vacuum tree on the rear of the manifold for booster and tranny and air/heat control. I have an aftermarket manifold and Carb. Are you using the stock Carb and manifold?

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
What does the DMV in Broken Arrow, OK tell you is legal that's where I'd start first for answers if you're not 100% sure BEFORE you remove anything and wind up putting it all back correctly....least you get stopped by some nosey asswipe cop poking around and writing you up with multiple tickets for missing parts.....there out there you know....waiting.....lol lol

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the '86, I ran P.C.V. to back of Carb, but you didn't mention the P.C.V., so you can run the Brake Booster to back of Carb. I installed a vacuum tree on the rear of the manifold for booster and tranny and air/heat control. I have an aftermarket manifold and Carb. Are you using the stock Carb and manifold?
The new valve covers(ford racing I bought used) came with what looks like a miniature K&N filter on one side. I assume this takes the place of a pcv. However, the Summit reusable air cleaner I bought says it has a hole in it for a pcv. So do I plug it? Do I take the breather off of the VC and put in a check valve style and run it to the air cleaner?

·
Registered
102 Posts
What does the DMV in Broken Arrow, OK tell you is legal that's where I'd start first for answers if you're not 100% sure BEFORE you remove anything and wind up putting it all back correctly....least you get stopped by some nosey asswipe cop poking around and writing you up with multiple tickets for missing parts.....there out there you know....waiting.....lol lol

Good Luck ~ :thumbup
do u not no how to read. hes not asking whats legal hes asking how to fix his truck the way he wants it done

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
jkm354 RE-READ Bruno2 post #3, JScatt post #4, Daves88 post #5, 82BKO post #7, slw210 post #9 .....:rofl:

WADR, I can certainly read, spell and punctuate correctly but apparently you're not capable of comprehending ALL the information put forth in it's entirety....I was merely responding to the other information put forth by those listed above and since this is an "open forum" I'm entilted to do that regardless of what you think or like.....:doh0715:

BOOOYAAAAH ~ :rockon

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you live in the USofA it is illegal to remove, deactivate, tamper with or even remove or tamper with anything that would have an effect on emissions equipment, etc. etc. and so forth. Off road, on road in your backyard doesn't matter. So get over it and/or write your congressperson. Will anything happen to YOU for it, most likely not, but you never know.

this part, bullshit which makes your whole post BS

·
Registered
102 Posts
jkm354 RE-READ Bruno2 post #3, JScatt post #4, Daves88 post #5, 82BKO post #7, slw210 post #9 .....:rofl:

WADR, I can certainly read, spell and punctuate correctly but apparently you're not capable of comprehending ALL the information put forth in it's entirety....I was merely responding to the other information put forth by those listed above and since this is an "open forum" I'm entilted to do that regardless of what you think or like.....:doh0715:

BOOOYAAAAH ~ :rockon
ya but y do u have to keep repeating what everyone else has already said y cant ya just leave it b so the ppl that do want to do it dont have to wast there time with that stupid kind of BS that has already been stated they dont want so that another post doesnt have to be started again just bc they got tired of reading through all that stuff.

·
Registered
731 Posts
this part, bullshit which makes your whole post BS
Another believer of urban myths.
WRONG. :twak

Straight from the EPA.

UNITED STATES ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTlON AGENCY
WASHINGTON. D.C. 20460

Question 1.
Under what conditions or circumstances can a catalytic
converter be removed from a vehicle and a converter replacement
pipe be installed?

Answer 1.
Under federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed
and replaced with "converter replacement pipes' by any person.
The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private
individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their
own vehicles. Anyone who installs such pipes would violate section
203(a)(3)(A) and (B) of the Clean Air Act (Act).
In addition to federal law, forty-five out of the fifty
States also have statutes or regulations which prohibit tampering
with the pollution control equipment on motor vehicles or driving
or selling such vehicles. Thus, vehicle owners who tamper with
their own vehicles may be subject to substantial penalties under
both federal and State law.
The only circumstances in which a person would be allowed to
remove a converter is if the vehicle is being shipped overseas to
an area where unleaded gasoline is not generally available.
(Vehicles traveling to Canada or Mexico are nnf; eligible for this
exemption.) In this instance the vehicle owner must have a
letter from the EPA specifically authorizing the converter
removal from the vehicle in question.

Question 2.
Can I remove a converter from avehicle that is used only for "off-road" driving?
Answer 2.
No.

The federal tampering prohibition pertains to "motor vehicles," which are defined by
section 216(2) of the Act as "any self-propelled vehicle
designed for transporting persons or property on a street or
highway."
chassis configuration as meeting the applicable emissions
standards for motor vehicles manufactured in a given model year,
and it is not legal for anyone to "de-certify" a motor vehicle
for "off -road" use.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The new valve covers(ford racing I bought used) came with what looks like a miniature K&N filter on one side. I assume this takes the place of a pcv. However, the Summit reusable air cleaner I bought says it has a hole in it for a pcv. So do I plug it? Do I take the breather off of the VC and put in a check valve style and run it to the air cleaner?
Two different things.
The oil breather is to allow filtered air IN to the valve cover via an oil fill cap, etc. Sometimes these have hoses running to the top of the Carb or air cleaner and sometimes it is just a cap that has holes and a filter media in it or what looks like a miniature air filter to prevent dirt from getting into the engine. They work off atmospheric pressure.

The P.C.V. (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) uses engine vacuum to suck air OUT of the valve cover. This always has a hose and to be functional it must be connected to engine vacuum AFTER the carburetor, not before. Usually Ford used a spacer plate under the Carb that has a nipple at the back for the hose to hook onto. Oil fume getting sucked into the engine at this point can not gum up the Carb because this is already past the Carb. That is why I used the one on the back of the Carb for mine.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
jkm354:

WADR with the risk of repeating myself, wasting everyone's time with this!

FSB is an "open forum for debate" those are the rules so I'm entitled to do just that regardless whether you like it or not. The discussion regarding the removal of emissions equipment, legal or not was put forth by several people so it's "fair game" but continuing this childish dribble on your part is non productive and doesn't accomplish anything so you're not making a relevant adult contribution, at least I made an honest, valid assement on the emissions removal issue.

I have over 5400 posts to your 94, I've been a member of FSB for 7 years making 25 reference videos and substantial thread/post contributions helping members where you've only been here 5 months, BFD pal, I've owned my Bronco for 8 years doing much of the work myself from what I learned here, I've also been on this planet a lot longer working on cars my whole life and accumulating far more life experience so you need to mature some before you challange people with a baseless argument like yours because I doubt you'll last very long here if you persist with this kind of mental masturbation behavior.

If I were you, I'D GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND LEARN TO READ, WRITE, ARTICULATE AND COMMUNICATE like an intelligent human being instead of a whiney child...do yourself a favor and stop wasting everybody's time, contribute something of value to help, this doesn't.

Are we clear now on what's important ?

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
jkm354:

WADR with the risk of repeating myself, wasting everyone's time with this!

FSB is an "open forum for debate" those are the rules so I'm entitled to do just that regardless whether you like it or not. The discussion regarding the removal of emissions equipment, legal or not was put forth by several people so it's "fair game" but continuing this childish dribble on your part is non productive and doesn't accomplish anything so you're not making a relevant adult contribution, at least I made an honest, valid assement on the emissions removal issue.

I have over 5400 posts to your 94, I've been a member of FSB for 7 years making 25 reference videos and substantial thread/post contributions helping members where you've only been here 5 months, BFD pal, I've owned my Bronco for 8 years doing much of the work myself from what I learned here, I've also been on this planet a lot longer working on cars my whole life and accumulating far more life experience so you need to mature some before you challange people with a baseless argument like yours bacause I doubt you'll last very long here if you persist with this kind of mental masturbation behavior.

If I were you, I'D GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND LEARN TO READ, WRITE, ARTICULATE AND COMMUNICATE like an intelligent human being instead of a whiney child...do yourself a favor and stop wasting everybody's time, contribute something of value to help, this doesn't.

Are we clear now on what's important ?
==
YO BRO!
I'm with you on this.
So many new owners are having fits and wasting $ on trying to re-store their vehicles to pass Emission tests. Bruno bought one that was probably converted to carb by a prev owner or shop and is stuck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts