Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some friends that swear by them for economy (ha...Bronco) and diagnostics and others says it's a waste. I am going with Autometer Trans Temp, Oil Press and Coolant Temp in the near future but am still on the fence with the vacuum. Ricey or no? Where could I mount a single that's inconspicuous yet visible while driving if the A-pillar is already full with the above mentioned?

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
I use a 0-30"hg vacuum gauge for diagnostics, but I don't see what having one in the dash would do for economy.
If you spend 20 bucks on it you gotta save 10 gallons of gas to break even.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
I agree, you don't need one mounted permanently but having a portable one on hand for troubleshooting can be handy.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
My brother swears by them

he used to eek every last mile out of a gallon of gas. Like you say, for it to be effective for you, you will need to mount it in your line of vision and pay it heed.

I've got a mileage computer in the Lincoln Town Car and it's changed my whole driving habits. I'm getting phenominal mileage with that 5.0 litre.

I just can't help myself when I get back into the Bronco though, I still rug it when I take off. Kinda glad I don't have that same mileage computer in the Bronco !

Sixlitre

·
Southeast Utah Native
920 Posts
If you spend all of your time watching the vac gauge to make sure you don't give too much throttle you can improve your fuel mileage significantly, you can do the same by driving like you have an egg underneath your right foot. People with self discipline don't need vac gauges to improve their driving habits. But if you're going to drive that way, with or without the vac gauge, you better be thick skinned because you'll be pissing off a lot of people on the road with your little old lady style of driving.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
Rick3373 said:
If you spend all of your time watching the vac gauge to make sure you don't give too much throttle you can improve your fuel mileage significantly, you can do the same by driving like you have an egg underneath your right foot. People with self discipline don't need vac gauges to improve their driving habits. But if you're going to drive that way, with or without the vac gauge, you better be thick skinned because you'll be pissing off a lot of people on the road with your little old lady style of driving.
Hee hee hee

3373 so you've been stuck behind my Lincoln have you ?:toothless Since I got the Town Car, with that onboard gas mileage computer, I have been driving like a mileage conscious fool !

I'm the prick who cuts the cruise and coasts up hills only to accelerate back up to speed on the way down the other side then resumes the cruise.

Sixlitre

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i got one too, just needs installed. i need to know how to tune my carb with one. am i just adjusting mixture til i get highest vacuum?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
axaviere said:
i got one too, just needs installed. i need to know how to tune my carb with one. am i just adjusting mixture til i get highest vacuum?
That's basically it

just back off a tad once you reach the highest vac reading you can get. If you find you've turned the idle mixture screws very far, then re check your base timing too.

Do all this with your distributor vacuum advance disconnected and plugged.

BTW that only gets you into the ballpark. If you want to super tune it read that vacuum dist tuning page I have on my Supermotors page. let's you improve your mileage as well as your performance.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
172 Posts
In The Day

There were cars in "the day" that came with Vacuum Gauges. It doesnt hurt to monitor the gauge and it "WILL" help with your fuel economy. If you are however looking for the magic bullett that is not it..
It does help though..
Coupe

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
economy and 460 are hard to say in the same breath, but i will look at that superford page. really anything would help, but i dont really sweat the mileage. i hardly drive it since i got a POS taurus to drive around. i am still too broke to get my gears and lockers installed.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Steve83 said:
I don't give a $#!+ about economy, but it's a good diagnostic gauge to have permanently installed.

I'm with Steve on this one, if i wanted practical and fuel economical i wouldn't of bought a 351 powered Bronco.

Diagnostic wise, yes it's a great tool to have, fuel mileage wise...........it ain't really gonna matter......your not going to see great fuel mileage out of these things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts