Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so when i bought it the vacuum line is chopped and plugged up for some reason so im guessing thats why my 4x4 wont work if some can direct me to link or just give me some info that would be awesome

·
Registered
331 Posts
a pic would help, but there is a "vent line" on the driver side of the case that doesnt go to anything...

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
buy a length of small rubber hose, pull off the cut one and put this one on and run it up into the engine compartment so water can't get into it. as mentioned it's a breather hose, no vacuum.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
a pic would help, but there is a "vent line" on the driver side of the case that doesnt go to anything...
Don't believe this; that vent line actually serves a very important function. Just because he doesn't understand it doesn't mean that it doesn't do anything.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I think you're misinterpreting Dave. He never said it didn't DO anything. He said it doesn't go to anything, which is true in stock form. hose comes out and most had a little vented end on them right there, which is why I suggest you just dump that and make it go somewhere.....up inside the engine compartment nice and high up for venting.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think you're misinterpreting Dave. He never said it didn't DO anything. He said it doesn't go to anything, which is true in stock form. hose comes out and most had a little vented end on them right there, which is why I suggest you just dump that and make it go somewhere.....up inside the engine compartment nice and high up for venting.
thanks... I thought the fact that I said it was a vent line explained its function...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vaccum line

ok thanks for the responses so if that vent line is plugged would it make my 4x4 not work because i have the push button 4x4 and no lights come on or anything when i try an put it in 4x4 should i take the plug off the vent line and see if it works?

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Why not start with "pulling fault codes" from the vehicle computer and see what's indicated...I wouldn't think a blocked air vent tube would cause an electrical problem you know, think about it......

I would start with fuses, wiring, 4x4 electrics, battery and grounds etc. etc..check your Haynes Repair Manual and for additional info: www.broncolinks.com......

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
ok thanks for the responses so if that vent line is plugged would it make my 4x4 not work because i have the push button 4x4 and no lights come on or anything when i try an put it in 4x4 should i take the plug off the vent line and see if it works?
codes may help, but I'd bet it's just another crap issue due to electrical engagement. So unreliable it's not funny.

you don't by chance have auto hubs to compound the problem as well?

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Go here for How To pull fault codes and explanations: www.fordfuelinjection.com ~

There are several techniques such as "pulsing" or buy either the OBD-1 or OBD-2 Ford Coder Reader with diagnostic book, costs around $29.99, it just plugs into the OEM Test connectors under the hood.....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Wow guys...some really odd suggestions in this thread.

The 4x4 system doesn't have anything to do with the engine computer, so there will be no codes related to the 4x4 system. Actually there may be one, "4x4 switch closed" but I have no idea how the computer knows or cares about that.

Even the vehicle speed sensor for LOW operation is seperate and a failure of the transfer case computer VSS will not throw a code.

Here is the appropriate diagnostic.
http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/documents/electric1356/elec1356.htm

Follow each step slowly, step by step. It's not hard but it does require a basic understanding of block diagrams/schematics. I've diagnosed my electric 4x4 system failures twice with it, and each time it took about 2 hours and the fix was almost free.

It's pretty simple if you get to know how it thinks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow guys...some really odd suggestions in this thread.

The 4x4 system doesn't have anything to do with the engine computer, so there will be no codes related to the 4x4 system. Actually there may be one, "4x4 switch closed" but I have no idea how the computer knows or cares about that.

Even the vehicle speed sensor for LOW operation is seperate and a failure of the transfer case computer VSS will not throw a code.

Here is the appropriate diagnostic.
http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/documents/electric1356/elec1356.htm

Follow each step slowly, step by step. It's not hard but it does require a basic understanding of block diagrams/schematics. I've diagnosed my electric 4x4 system failures twice with it, and each time it took about 2 hours and the fix was almost free.

It's pretty simple if you get to know how it thinks.

thanks soo much thats awesome i will definetly try this 2morrow its getting kind of late but thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts