Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the valley pan a must when putting on intake manifold?If so what areas should I seal? :drinkbud

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
If you are using the factory intake, then yes you have to use the vally pan seal. Use RTV on the front and back cross seals (rubber) where they meet/mate up with up with the heads. I also put a small amount od RTV around the first and last ports of the heads as I believe theses are water passages that are not used. If you're using and aluminum intake manifold, then you need to use a paper intake gasket and on the front and rear of the block web (where the rubber strips would normally go), you'll lay down a thick bead (1/4") of RTV to seal. Torque all intake bolts according to the manual.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am putting a Edelbrock aluminum intake on it and the valley pan isnt fitting very well.Thre are big gaps where the heads meet the block and if I just lay the Int.manifold it is a much better fit.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
I use the valley pan on an aluminum intake as well. The whole purpose of the valley pan is to keep hot oil from getting on the bottom side of the intake. The small gap between head and intake is normal and the aluminum will seal in place when torqued. I also use the rubber strips with a small gob of silicne in each of the corners where rubber meets the head.

·
Registered
689 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasnt going to use the rubber seals but after putting them on and test fitting pan with manifold it all seems to fit much better because of the rubber seals.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I always heard it was more so for keeping the oil off the intake because the EGR would make it hotter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts