Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok on my 88 Bronco my brakes went out (rear). So i took it to a place called Value Brakes here in Jacksonville. They are telling me my shoes are bad, my wheel cylinders are bad, my axle bearings are bad, my axle bearing seals are bad, and my hardware could be bad and some other things, but they want to charge me @700.00 to fix. I think this is soooo bogus!! I told them to put my wheels back on and I would fix myself, they reply with Its a Florida state law that we cannot release your truck to you due to it being unsafe. Unsafe?!?! I drove the damn thing up there. I think there are alot of bogus charges and i need to know what i can do? Im going to have to pay the $653.00 (i think) but im very tempted to tell them I cant afford it and to keep the damn truck! I could understand paying that price for a full brake job front and rear but this is just for the rear! I have never heard of anyone paying this much for a rear brake job.

Help Very frustrated,

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
well its very likely all that stuff is bad, and to do axle bearings, the shafts have to be pulled. Add up all the labor charges say @ 60 bucks per hour...very feasible....

BTW tell them you are having it towed, then drive it home. Or they might have a release form you have to sign

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Not sure about the laws down there, but I'd either call a lawyer or grab my shotgun if someone tried to hold my truck hostage like that. Maybe both.

I think it's a shady-as-$hit operation, resorting to extortion. They can't FORCE you to pay anything. That's crap.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
have it towed out or pay it
if the axle bearings are bad, the axle is walking back and forth, and thus destroyed your seals...
if the hardware has never been replaced before, it is a good idea to install it, as the adjusters can sieze, and springs get weak or broken.
wheel cylinders do go bad all the time, but ask to see them, and look for leakage inside the boot.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well in florida any repairs that exceed 100.00 must be on a written signed estimate. well guess what....No estimate!! Also he told my wife He guaranteed he could keep the price under 653.00 he calls me today and tells me just under 800.00 he also tells my wife tonight (10 min agao) if i do away with the drums he could keep it @653.00. since when did drums cost 200.00? i can get them for @ 40.00 each. What the hell is up with this company???? I cant afford 800.00 what should i do???????

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Well, I just did my drum brakes a couple weeks ago and for new shoes, drums, hardware, and adjusters the total came to $135. So $200 for drums doesn't sound too bad when it is from a shop.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I see a max of 200.00 in parts and a max of 4 hrs labor at a shop(I don't know what the labour rate is there).So up here in Canada,the job would be between 450.00 and 600.00 plus taxes,depending on the labour rate and parts prices.Check with a couple of other places about the State law to see if it is true.If it's not true,tell them to put it together and take it home.If it's true,get it towed,rent a trailer to move it or find a friend with a trailer to move it to where you can fix it,and do it your self.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
topfisherman said:
Well, I just did my drum brakes a couple weeks ago and for new shoes, drums, hardware, and adjusters the total came to $135. So $200 for drums doesn't sound too bad when it is from a shop.
you paid 135.00 for everything though, they want 200.00 just for the drums and another 600.00 for the shoes, hardware, adjusters, and the seals. to me this just sounds a little shady. and again the didnot give me a written estimate. this is what i found at

www.800helpfla.com/motorveh.html

THE FLORIDA DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES
The act applies to dealers of new and used cars, trucks, and motorcycles; garages; service stations; self employed persons; truck stops; and paint, body, BRAKE, muffler, transmission, mobile repair and glass shops.

If the repair work will cost more than $100.00, the repair shop MUST give you the option of:

>Requesting a written estimate
>Being notified by the shop if the repair exceeds an amount you specify, or
>Not requiring a written estimate ar all.

**Consumers MUST sign and date one of the above options. Motor vehicle repair shops cannot force you to waive your right to an estimate.

HE DID NOT DO ANY OF THESE. Does it cover my ass?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Ok.....first tell them that you will sign a waiver releasing them from any responceability....see how that goes. If that dont work call a tow truck and have it towed just off their propriety, get in and go.

Or you could do it Jersey style.......Just tell them that tomorrow morning they will be looking at a smoldering black spot on the ground where their shop used to be if they dont let you get in your truck RIGHT NOW and drive away. If your Bronco burns up....they will have to just get you another one.....then you can torch that clip-joint one more time just for kicks :)

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
I did a search at BBB and there are five stores in the area. It looks like the problems get resovled when they get involved.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The act applies to dealers of new and used cars, trucks, and motorcycles; garages; service stations; self employed persons; truck stops; and paint, body, BRAKE, muffler, transmission, mobile repair and glass shops.

If the repair work will cost more than $100.00, the repair shop MUST give you the option of:

**Consumers MUST sign and date one of the above options. Motor vehicle repair shops cannot force you to waive your right to an estimate.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
"HE DID NOT DO ANY OF THESE. Does it cover my ass?"

NO!

This guy is obviously a get over artist, and has done this scam once or twice before. He will look for a easy target, and then feed him/her a load of sh!t.
In all seriousness I would grab my extra set of keys and just go down there and tell if he thinks he is bad enough to keep me from driving away he better start swinging right now, or step aside and let me get in my truck and go.

·
OOPS GIVE A DAMN IS BROKE
8,922 Posts
if it was me i would give the shop owner a couple of options.
1) they pay the tow bill to your house
2) they pay the lawyers fees
or
3) they can explain to JSO why they refuse to relaease your vehicle to you that has had unauthorized work done on it

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
tucker1251 said:
you paid 135.00 for everything though, they want 200.00 just for the drums and another 600.00 for the shoes, hardware, adjusters, and the seals. to me this just sounds a little shady.
O, well in that case it does sound really high to me. :doh0715:

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
colinlesser said:
or you could do the brakes yourself right there in the parking lot and drive away
Absolutely

Brakes, especially the rears, are one of the easiest jobs to do and you save the most money doing them. Also, they require very few tools.

Still, sounds like that ship has sailed and our boy is bent over the counter with his pants round his ankles.

I agree with others that you demand an itemized written estimate and you prepare ahead of time, to pay a tow truck (get an estimate there too) to haul it on outta there.

Tell him you and the estimate are heading for your lawyers and the Better Business Bureau as well as any state agency your state has that looks into these things. In addition call the local TV station and tell em' you're towing outta there and to come on down and film the fun !

Personally, I've accompanied a family friend back into a place like that and informed the owner that "if that car ain't back together, just the way it rolled in here, you'll be in the trunk when we leave".

BTW that was an $1100.00 brake estimate that another shop fixed for under $100.00.

Sixlitre

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
They cannot keep your truck if the work has not been done yet... Go down there and get your truck. If they keep up the Bullsh*t about they can't release it, call the cops.... Take your spare keys and fire it up and leave let them call the cops.... Whatever it takes. But stop letting them bullsh*t you. If you don't wanna have a confrontation, wait till after 5pm and go get it... Call the cops and report it stolen.. Do something besides talk to this azzhat..... He will not back down until you stand up to him. If they already did the work then your probably screwed and your gonna have to pay him....Fog

·
Well Done Man!
1,621 Posts
tucker1251 said:

You are reading this wrong.
That law is IF THE WORK IS ALREADY DONE.
Say you droped the truck off, was told it was going to be 75$ then a few hours later he told you he did all of the work and you now owe him 800$.
That is where that law comes in.

And Yes CA has an unsafe law as well, I have only used it once, a lady came in with metal on metal brake pads and 3 kids. She did not want the work done to fix her car, I then told her she had to tow it, she tired to drive it away, I called the cops.

Why don't you go down in person to the shop, see the broken out prices (they have them) and have him explain all of the work that needs to be done.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
You should have had them point out and explain what they wanted to work on and replace. But I think they are being dicks. Go down there and tell them to EFF Off and give you your truck or else, then ask them what their deductable is for the shops front window, and ask them what it would end up costing them if someone were to smash out the front window on a monthly basis...or just call the cops.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts