Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possible new user here. I'm looking at a 1987 XLT with 302 5.0 EFI, 3-speed automatic transmission, PW,PD, and automatic locking hubs. It has 150,000 miles, some of the, what appears to be, typical bronco body rust around the rear wheel wells. Brand new radials (as if that really made much difference), new egr valve, new alternator, new O2 sensor, and battery/battery cables. Interior is fairly clean. The engine seems to wander a bit (rev up and down) when it reaches operating temp. Open egr up a bit and let some air in and the wandering stops.

I know what Blue Book and Edmunds say, but what is it really worth? I'm not buying this for a daily driver, but rather more of a project/hunting truck.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
these things are a dime a dozen where I live, so I get the cream of the crop (so cal). I personally wouldn't **** around with a 5.0 bronco, ANY rust, or auto hubs, but maybe that's me. I'd much rather have a clean body, a 5.8, and manual locking hubs with an overdrive 4 speed trans so I could gear the hell out of it.

However, having said that, so long as it runs good, trans is good, engine doesn't smoke, 4x4 works, and paint has the average 15-20 year old fade, I'd put that truck at 2 grand give or take, tops. If the paint is clean, then a little more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I could get the Bronco for around $700, but the guy has had the truck less than 6 months or so and doesn't have a title from the previous owner and to make a long story short there are some major issues with getting one so I think I might just move on and look for another one. So back to the classifieds.

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,797 Posts
marshmandan said:
Thanks for the reply. I could get the Bronco for around $700, but the guy has had the truck less than 6 months or so and doesn't have a title from the previous owner and to make a long story short there are some major issues with getting one so I think I might just move on and look for another one. So back to the classifieds.
Without a clean title I would offer $50 and make it a trail rig only. There seem to be too many unknowns about this truck, so I would probably pass on it.

Just my $0.02 - but I have been known to be wrong.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
i paid 1100 for that same above FSB with crown vic 5.0L, man/auto locking hubs who cares that's cheap and easy to change, and as far as 5.8L , I 'm trying to get the best fuel/mpg ;)

btw I've put about $600 into mine doing misc and brake work on it. But other than that it's okay I guess.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I've never bought a vehicle on my own before so I thought I'd seek a little input. I've already written the 87 off due to the title issues, but I've found an 86 EB. It's got no rust, 302EFI, BW 1345 transfercase, and 130,000 miles. From the research I've done the price seems very reasonable even though it is more than double the 87.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.