Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.What all gaskets do I need to change valve covers on my 1989 full Bronco 5.8 . I just want to have everything on hand when I start the project. If anyone has a list I would appreciate a copy. Thanks

·
Registered
1988 Ford Bronco XLT 5.0 four speed auto Raven black with red interior
109 Posts
You shouldn't need to many. Throttlebody to upper intake gasket if you remove it from the intake, gasket for the upper intake and lower intake and then the two valve cover gaskets brand and type of material of your choosing.(most have started using the reusable rubber gaskets)

·
Registered
331 Posts
this kit should cover you for the ancillary items you might need to replace.

i'm a big fan of these valve cover gaskets

just make sure you're following the bolt torqueing process

generally, you start at the front left side of the valve cover. toque down to 11-13 ft-lbs, go back a few minutes later and repeat.

i'm sure plenty of folks have made it through life without following this process but i like not wondering if i did something correctly when it start to leak.

·
Premium Member
1991 XLT. 5.0, E4OD, manual transfer case, 4.10 LS, factory manual lockouts
947 Posts
Unless you are planning to remove the valve covers on a relatively regular basis, buy the "rubberized" cork gaskets. Just get good quality gaskets. Rubber valve cover gaskets are intended to be used on engines that will have the valve covers removed and reinstalled frequently, i.e. a race car where valve adjust is done frequently. Installing and leaving rubber valve cover gaskets in my experience just invites leaks. Go FelPro, get a "head set" if you want a kit. Will have more gaskets then you need, but will ensure you have them all the first trip. More Information for FEL-PRO HS8548PT9

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
2,021 Posts
Just throwing this out there, you don't have to remove the throttle body, unless you want to clean it...it can stay bolted to the upper intake. Also i have removed my upper intake on BOTH my broncos more than once and the gasket stayed intact. I have 2 sets of intake gaskets i bought for this that i never used sitting in my pile. It was the same story on my throttle body on ONE of them anyway, i removed it and it stayed intact so i reused it. Of course you need to have one on hand, but theres a high chance you might not even need the gaskets.

Also buy yourself a stud kit for your valve covers, they make life SOOOO much easier. While you got the valve covers off check your valve train, rocker arms, push rods etc, make sure everything is tight and nothing is bent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts