Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search, but nothing much out there.

We just put the left side (drivers side) in with minimal problems. Looking at the right side and see that the intake manifold needs to come off.

Is this right? How much work is involved with this? Slightly mechanical, but not ASE cert by any means....and just moved houses and can't find the service manual anywhere!

Thanks for the help.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
You do have to take the plenum off and you need a 1/4" drive torx bit with about a 4' extension to remove the centre bolt under the plenum in the centre. You don't need the manual for that. Just don't over tighten the bolts when you put it back together. I believe you want to torque the plenum down to about 20 lbs. Just torque it in 2 steps to be sure you don't do any harm.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
That Torx bit for the hidden bolt in the middle is a T-40...I think....:scratchhe

Don't you love Ford? The first time you do this, you think, "ah, only five 1/2-inch-head bolts? No problem!" Then you get a light and see that little bastard in the middle sitting there, laughing at you. It laughs even harder when you don't have a tiny bit to get at it. Grrr....what a stupid design...

Anyhow, be sure you use silicone valve cover gaskets! You'll never have to do it again. The Fel-Pro part number is VS13264T, and the package should say "PermaDry" on it. I don't know about other brands (ROL's quality convinced me to never use their crap again). Believe me, the extra cash spent now is worth it.

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
This is a repair that I reaaly need to do soon too. The T-40 torx bit has to be 1/4" for the ratchet? Or can it be for a 3/8 ratchet? I'm asking so I don't have to make two trips to the parts store (for tools) and can have all my tools lined up ahead of time. I specify for tools 'cause knowing me I'll find something else to fix once I'm in there and have to go get parts anyway.:toothless

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Yes, it has to be 1/4" drive. The 3/8" drive wont fit. Plus, you'll want to tape the socket onto the extension so it doesn't fall off.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
87EBBronco said:
This is a repair that I reaaly need to do soon too. The T-40 torx bit has to be 1/4" for the ratchet? Or can it be for a 3/8 ratchet? I'm asking so I don't have to make two trips to the parts store (for tools) and can have all my tools lined up ahead of time. I specify for tools 'cause knowing me I'll find something else to fix once I'm in there and have to go get parts anyway.:toothless
Yep

What Waltman and SigEpBlue said

Sixlitre

1 - 6 of 6 Posts