Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a common problem with these? Mine are leaking real bad. How easy are they to change?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
It's fairly easy, but time consuming because you must remove the upper manifold (plenum) in order to change the passenger side valve cover gasket. Just take your time, keep the fasteners in order, and don't forget to unhook all the necessary electrical and vacuum connections. When you go to the store for gaskets, be sure you get Fel-Pro PermaDry valve cover gaskets and a plenum gasket. The extra cost of the PermaDry gaskets is well worth it. They last a damn long time, and I've yet to see a set fail. You will also need a T40 Torx bit to get the plenum off; it's the center bolt that's hidden between the runners.

Keep in mind it's a good time to clean out the plenum, change/reroute the PCV valve, change spark plugs & wires, etc. :thumbup

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet thanks! Time is fine for Im unemployed, I was just wondering how hard it'd be, sounds fairly simple though

·
Registered
32 Posts
You will also need a T40 Torx bit to get the plenum off; it's the center bolt that's hidden between the runners. :thumbup
I had an 88 with the 5.0 and the valve covers leaked toward the back of the engine. I wasn't too hard to fix but was time consuming. The center bolt in the upper air intake is a pain to get to.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have the same problem. Mine is a 89 f150 and it leaks towards the back of the valve covers. Someone else told me that you don't really need to take off the manifold to get to the valve cover gaskets. Is that true, because I don't really want to take it off if I don't have to.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
It would be pretty hard to do this job without removing the manifold. Have you ever tried changing the pcv... and thats in the middle of the cover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts