Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
US, 89, 5.8,C6, 1356 BW (manual), 5 Bolt Hub (automatic) No modes like to keep it or
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am have been doing some trouble shooting with vacuum leaks and did a smoke leak check and found I may have a leaking valve cover. Replaced the gaskets about a month with the felpro rubber gaskets. I will have to take off the upper intake since the possible leaks is on the passenger side in between the back 2 fuel injectors.

Anyways I have been looking at valve covers just incase I need to replace them, I have the originals, over 30 yrs old. I have found the Scott Drake Classic Aluminum Valve Covers 6A582-B but no oil filler neck and I found JBG Valve Covers these with a oil filler neck, but no port for the vent hose going from the valve cover to the air cleaner box.

So my two questions are:
1. I have hunted for a oil filler neck for the Scott Drake, no luck can anyone point me in the right direction.
2. Is the port for the oil filler neck, something I have to drill and place in myself?
3. Does anyone have another recommendation?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,730 Posts
I used some ford racing ones on mine, black with red accents. Worked real good.

The main issue causing a leaky VC is people tightening the bolts down too far, which dimples the metal, crushes the gasket, and leaks form. I recommend the T-bar washer things that spread out the clamping force over a few inches.

The oil fill neck isnt really required if you just use an old school style cap. Or is there no hole at all?

I definitely recommend replacing the PCV valve and associated tube while the upper intake is off.

Reactions: Desert Bronco

·
Premium Member
US, 89, 5.8,C6, 1356 BW (manual), 5 Bolt Hub (automatic) No modes like to keep it or
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BigBlue94,
The oil fill neck isnt really required if you just use an old school style cap. Or is there no hole at all?
I updated my post to show what I meant for a port at the oil filler neck.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
the tube from the oil filler to the air intake is for vapors.

if you look VERY closely at the covers from JBG, there looks like there's a port on the inside of the oil filler neck. that might be what you need, just pointing in the wrong direction. if it is, you should be able to plumb something there back to the intake. however, i don't think it would impact the way your car drives if you didn't run it back.

i tried to find more pics online but there's a billion different variations of ford racing valve covers for the 302.

edit
check out this ebay listing. you can see there is definitely something there. it may just be a a little valve, though.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,730 Posts
BigBlue94,

I updated my post to show what I meant for a port at the oil filler neck.
View attachment 162744
That is literally just the intake for the PCV system. If you simply replace the whole filler neck with a breather, it works the same.

For instance, my 300 inline 6 has a pcv at the back of the valve cover and a breather in the oil fill hole.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is literally just the intake for the PCV system. If you simply replace the whole filler neck with a breather, it works the same.
Well wish I knew that before replaced the hose.
I emailed JBG about the filler neck yesterday.
I also read that the aftermarket valve covers may not fit with the felpro rubber gaskets because they have a lip at the edge vs just a straight edge?

·
Addicted to Junk
12,730 Posts
Well wish I knew that before replaced the hose.
I emailed JBG about the filler neck yesterday.
I also read that the aftermarket valve covers may not fit with the felpro rubber gaskets because they have a lip at the edge vs just a straight edge?
All steel valve covers will have a lip, either cupping upwards or downwards. Cast aluminum valve covers wont. Im running a cork one on my 300. Or actually 3 due to a valve cover spacer i had to use for my rockers. I have two corks siliconed together between the spacer and valve cover (downward facing lip is too long for just one to seal on the oversized spacer) and one below the spacer. No leaks.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or actually 3 due to a valve cover spacer i had to use for my rockers.
I have heard some people mention the space between the valve cover and rocker will sometimes rub? Is that because people are using after market rockers? I just want some good valve covers that wont leak and won't require me too MacGyver the valve covers to ensure a proper fit.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,730 Posts
I have heard some people mention the space between the valve cover and rocker will sometimes rub? Is that because people are using after market rockers? I just want some good valve covers that wont leak and won't require me too MacGyver the valve covers to ensure a proper fit.
Correct, they have swapped rockers. Mine, I removed the press in rocker studs and pedestals and installed studs and roller rockers. My whole valve geometry moved up, so I needed the spacer. The only other options i had were finding a rare tall Clifford VC or splicing two stock ones together to make a tall one. Very common practice on the 300.

On my 94 351w, i went to roller rockers and used the VCs that summit sells; red and black ford racing. No spacers or anything.

Ive not had great luck with some of the rubber/silicone valve cover gaskets. The felpro one grew an inch longer between mockup for the spacer and actual installation. It didnt even come close to fitting. Went back to their rubber impregnated cork, and no issues.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Addicted to Junk
12,730 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts